Short family cycling holiday - around 100 mile quiet route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G-Zero

Über Member
....I'd be interested in ideas.

Thanks

This might not be suitable at the moment, but one for the future perhaps.

The first time I did the C2C Whitehaven-Sunderland, I did it with my first wife and our boys, who at the time were 9 & 7 years old. We treat it as a leisurely cycling holiday and we spent 5 nights in pre-booked B&Bs. Other than me pushing youngest's bike up a couple of the steeper bits, they did it under their own steam and it still remains my favourite crossing out of the three that I've done.

We were self sufficient and I carried the bulk of our gear on my bike, including a massive rucsac.

My wife wasn't particularly fit, but the pace we set was relaxed and easily achievable, so depending on your fitness, would be easy enough, even with your little one in her seat.
The advantage of that route is that you can break off at any point and shorten it to suit your own needs.

Wife no.2 is a keen cyclist and has never done the C2C, so I'm keen to do it again, but trying to get her 2 girls interested is like pulling teeth !!

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
I have been sent a gpx file of the TPT all the way to Southport. I have been as far as Fiddler's Ferry before but assumed the route after that wasn't particurlarly nice. I was a little surprised when I looked at the route that it appears to be mostly paths. I might do a test run up there and back one weekend. Anyone use the TPT east of Fiddler's Ferry?

Top Bottom