SHORT NOTICE! Flat metric century ride from Garforth via York, this Saturday (13th Nov, 2021).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry for the short notice folks, but if any of you fancy joining @Littgull and me for a very easy (flat!) metric century ride from Garforth this coming Saturday (13th Nov. 2021) you'd be welcome to. We will ride at a fairly easy steady pace, probably a moving average of around 20 kph (12.5 mph).

Current forecasts are not bad, but obviously conditions may change nearer the weekend.

We will be arriving at Garforth station on the train due in at 09:29 and would like to set off ASAP after that because daylight hours are limited. So - BRING LIGHTS! We may manage to get back before sunset, but we could be getting back in darkness if there are any delays. I'd guess that we will finish between 15:30 and 16:30.

Map:

The route is 105 km (65 miles) in total, barely any climbing. Loop to be ridden in a clockwise direction.

We will head out across the Parlington estate along Parlington Lane cycle path, which I believe to be ok for road bikes. We will come back along it in the opposite direction later. We will be using other cycle paths where available, and largely avoiding busy roads.

We will be crossing Aldwark toll bridge so bring some loose change for that. I think it is still 40p for cyclists?

We will head in to York and can stop for refreshments and/or use the toilets at the railway station.

I will be on my singlespeed bike. If you have a singlespeed/fixed gear bike, this would be an ideal route for it.

If you fancy a nice easy longish ride before the winter sets in and are free on Saturday in the Garforth area, sign up below!

GPX file of route is attached...

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Garforth Aldwark York 105 km loop.gpx
    167.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Slioch

Guru
Aldwark toll bridge is free to cyclists.

Tempted to join you for this. I'll have a chat with the management and have a look at the logistics.

Gunk

Guru
Such a shame it’s too far away for me, my son and I would have loved that, if you do it next year could give a bit of notice and we would come and stay overnight.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Aldwark toll bridge is free to cyclists.
I was looking at their t&c and there was no mention of bicycles, but they said that anything not mentioned on the list would be treated the same as the nearest category so I thought that would be motorbikes.

That's 40p saved then!

We did a forum ride to Fleetwood once and crossed the Cartford toll bridge at Little Eccleston. I told someone that I was riding on ahead to pay the tolls, and then waited down the road for the others to catch up. There was a delay. Apparently, my message wasn't heard so everybody stopped and paid the tolls again! :laugh:

Tempted to join you for this. I'll have a chat with the management and have a look at the logistics.
Fingers crossed!

Bit short notice for me I'm afraid.
Such a shame it’s too far away for me, my son and I would have loved that, if you do it next year could give a bit of notice and we would come and stay overnight.
Apologies for the lack of notice. Littgull and I wanted to wait and check the forecasts before deciding to do the ride.

We have done other flat rides from Garforth and will do so again. I expect that we will do my 100 km/100 mile ride again in the spring. We all ride to the cafe stop together. After that, some riders take a shortcut back to Garforth while others continue with a longer loop to get 100 miles in. I will post details of that several weeks in advance. That will probably be the same route as the ride we did in July this year - DETAILS.

Slioch

Guru
Sorry, but decided not to come.:sad:

Had a bit of a health scare a couple of months back and, although recovering well, it wouldn't be great for others on the ride if anything happened.

Slioch

Guru
Yikes! I hope that you make a full recovery and can join us for future rides...
Thank you. Hopefully just a warning shot across the bows. A few lifestyle adjustments and should be back to normal.

If you're looking for a coffee stop and want something a wee bit different try Naburn Station on the Solar System cycle path south of York. They run an honesty box system so you'll have to boil your own kettle. Can't guarantee the freshness of their cakes at this time of year though.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It sounds interesting and quaint.

It certainly is.

I think when I went past they may have had staff on., possibly because it was the better weather and busier.

We should pass it on the current iteration of the York - Humber Bridge ride, unless we turn off the Solar track earlier - can't remember.

Top Bottom