Short stem + wide bars, anyone tried it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Some geometries were designed for wide bars and short stems
DSC_0228.jpg

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Only downside thus far, with 6 degree riser stem, is the rear trigger shifter will foul the top tube in 'offs' ...

... best I don't fall off then.

lukesdad

Can't comment on the "short stem" bit, but i put these on my street bike a while ago. Bit awkward when taking it on the train, and not as sturdy as before.
The MkII version will be slightly narrower and made of something less flexible...
widebars.jpg
I used to have drag bars like that on my GS750

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Is fit less important than fashion?

But that's missing the point... If I go with some rigid interpretation of fit, not that I really believe 5mm one way or the other will make a difference to me or any other leisure rider, it will stay where it is. Then one day I'll trash my top tube.

imo, on mtb and to lesser extent on flat bar fast road bikes, stem height is as much about your style of riding as it is fit btw.

Simplest solution for me is probably to fit a rear X0 gripshift shifter and run both gripshifts over the brakes (flying in the face of fashion)

mickeydrippin60

Veteran
gripshift isnt flying in the face of fashion its p!$$*@ in to the wind i have a 20inch kona dawg with 50mm stem wide bars and spds i have the same problem but for me its my brake levers that hit the cross bar all ive done was buy spare levers and some stickers just in case lol

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'll be fitting a top tube protector (thank you Bagaboo/Urban Hunter) and dropping the stem on the steerer and using the age old wisdom of levers/shifters clamps only being done up hand tight while holding the short end of the allen key so hopefully if it all goes wrong they will move rather than break or dent something.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
First proper 'go' off road with the new set up. Wider bars make it much easier to keep her straight when climbing, and feel way more comfortable and open chested. Didn't clip any trunks on the singletrack we rode but then I don't carve at high-speed anyway

Short stem certainly needed an adaptation to climbing style and I think after the first hour I was there.

Love it thus far.

Next step is to drop it down the stack a bit and see how that goes. Will probably stick it down 25mm as a starter. Bagaboo frame protector on the top tube is doing bash duties.

Top Bottom