Short stem + wide bars, anyone tried it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Read a couple of articles over the weekend from stateside sources extolling the virtues of wide(r) bars and 50 - 60 mm stems over the normal narrow and long combination beloved of XC riders.

Given I'm not racing, the mtb is strictly a general purpose off-road tool ridden strictly for laughs these days, I'm going to give it a go.

Anyone been down the wide(r) bars shorter stem path? If so, or if not, what width, style (flats or risers) and length of stem are you running?

I've currently got a 110mm stem and 640mm Ritchey risers and am going to try slightly wider 710mm On-one fleegle's and a 60mm stem. (may have to join the 21st C and lose the bar ends I'm told.)

Yeahbut to be really cutting edge you'd need a 45 degree backsweep too!

h10_cutbar_ti.jpg

Cubist

Still wavin'
I tried a 55mm riser stem (about 30 degrees) and a pair of 710mm mid rise. On the XC bike it made things a lot sharper in the turns. You can throw the bike around a bit more in really twisty stuff, but it got a bit twitchy on occasions. The extra rise and more upright position made it a bit twitchy on long fast smooth singletrack, and I had to learn new pedalling technique on climbs to keep the front down. The pay off has been in the leverage available on technical tight steep turns, and the slacker feel on descents.

I found a really short stem to be a bind on the tighter Cube geometry, so opted for a 16 degree 70mm in the end. The extra width of the bars is a given, loads of leverage and control on technical stuff.

Your setup sounds pretty similar, depending on the headtube angle. If it's as sharp as the Cube's 70 odd degrees, then go for a slightly longer stem.

lukesdad

Only really used this on a downhill setup. As he said (^_^) ^^^ steering is a lot faster. The main downside I found and I think this would apply to any bike, is holding a line over the nadgery stuff especially at speed. As usual with most things like this its a bit of a trade off.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Only really used this on a downhill setup. As he said (^_^) ^^^ steering is a lot faster. The main downside I found and I think this would apply to any bike, is holding a line over the nadgery stuff especially at speed. As usual with most things like this its a bit of a trade off.

A trade off. LOL. I'm promises myself when I bought this bike I'd leave it standard. Fat chance. I think I like fettling and fiddling as much as I like riding.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I just fitted a 60mm stem to the felt as it was to loooooong a stretch with the 110 and massive frame than I needed for leg room.

Hopefully that'll make things much more comfy

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
1714909 said:
110 to 60 is a fair jump. Are you sure you don't want an 80 or 90 first as an interim step? I'm sure that MacB must have a few spares he could let you have at a fair price.

60mm is a compromise based on what I read and I may end up shorter if I like the feel and can adapt my style to it. 60mm also has the unbeatable virtue of being "Cheap in gold CNC at On-One" which is a hallmark of my experimentation.

and I said I wouldn't buy anything else from MacB until I finished building up the pompetamine frame he sold me.

Cubist

Still wavin'
60mm is a compromise based on what I read and I may end up shorter if I like the feel and can adapt my style to it. 60mm also has the unbeatable virtue of being "Cheap in gold CNC at On-One" which is a hallmark of my experimentation.

and I said I wouldn't buy anything else from MacB until I finished building up the pompetamine frame he sold me.
Say it like it is, bugger good sense..... what'll it look like in the car park.... a man after my own heart!^_^

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Say it like it is, bugger good sense..... what'll it look like in the car park.... a man after my own heart!^_^
If it works and doesn't break too soon, I'm happy.

If it works and doesn't break too soon, and is shiny and anodised, I'm delighted.

dalewheeler

Can't comment on the "short stem" bit, but i put these on my street bike a while ago. Bit awkward when taking it on the train, and not as sturdy as before.
The MkII version will be slightly narrower and made of something less flexible...
widebars.jpg

Top Bottom