Shortage of Bike spares in future

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
It will be their loss! If the manufacturers haven't adapted to the new situation then it is up to them.

Might be their gain as it will mean they can concentrate on another area, often done, I dropped most of my retail customers so that I could earn more money years ago.

DRM

Guru
I am a UK distributor for a USA company, it is usual to show you are serious when apply for distribution rights, hence the £50,000 worth. I think it is the lack of sales that is the reason they are not bothering too much.
What I’m saying is their UK sales will be so small, they could do that in house, they must know how many of each model of saddle is sold here, so keep that amount here, not in Italy, then send orders out to retailers via UK couriers

screenman

Legendary Member
What I’m saying is their UK sales will be so small, they could do that in house, they must know how many of each model of saddle is sold here, so keep that amount here, not in Italy, then send orders out to retailers via UK couriers

That would cost them time and money, I reckon they never saw the UK as a big enough market to worry about. Even one person on minimum wage is going to cost £25,000 a year.

lane

Veteran
I am a UK distributor for a USA company, it is usual to show you are serious when apply for distribution rights, hence the £50,000 worth. I think it is the lack of sales that is the reason they are not bothering too much.

How many would you get for £50k? Maybe around 1,500? How many get sold in the UK per month? I am guessing it will take a while sell 1,500 units.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
How many would you get for £50k? Maybe around 1,500? How many get sold in the UK per month? I am guessing it will take a while sell 1,500 units.
It will take a while to get a return on your money. And I can bet the sales graph is not going in an upward direction.

If a reasonable sized company has not got their plans sorted out for post Brexit then it is probably because the sales that are affected are too small for them to want to spend any time on.
If the sales were sufficent that loosing them would be a problem then they would have got something sorted - this suggests that the extra costs don't justify the extra costs - as said above - just employing one person costs a significant amount.
If I was a UK manufacturer that has significant UK sales then I would be looking at my product range marketing and taking some of their market

lane

Veteran
According the information on the net they make over 200,000 a year. Anyone guess at units sold in the UK? And where are they getting the sales - guessing US is a big market but can't see them purchasing 200,000 a year

DRM

Guru
And it turns out the original story was a load of rubbish. Brooks already have a distributor, Brexit has made no difference and the product is not shipped to Italy and back to the UK but the product is shipped directly from the UK factory.
Just as I suspected it would be, makes absolutely no sense having a product go to Italy, then come back here

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And it turns out the original story was a load of rubbish. Brooks already have a distributor, Brexit has made no difference and the product is not shipped to Italy and back to the UK but the product is shipped directly from the UK factory.
It has made a difference in that UK residents can no longer buy direct, hasn't it?

lane

Veteran
It has made a difference in that UK residents can no longer buy direct, hasn't it?

Reading the article I think you are correct if you want one shipped by SA from Italy to you can't. But there is a UK distributor that continues to supply the UK and the saddle does not need to go via Italy. I don't know but imagine buying direct from the brooks website is not going to be cheapest.

As often the truth is a bit more nuanced than the press make out.

Top Bottom