Shortages Permanent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I
I most of the ones I can think of the nearest local was some distance away and in one case
[ Benbecula] appeared to be stoned on something and encouraged the dog to chase me along the road. There was also a flagpole with a union jack flag which is a clear sign they are probably not the nicest people and certainly not local.

That doesn't sound very nice.

I seem to remember getting an over the counter top up from the co op there.

Spain has a good system of roadside fonts.

Even in high mountain villages, again a local will usually point, or even lead you the way..

Arrggh now I'm nostalgic for travel, that's in the balance at the moment.

Is it or isn't it covid??

Feel a bit grotty - but other bugs are still available :sad:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Just tried that, very underwhelming. From my post code, one in Stirling five miles away , one in Falkirk about twenty miles away and one in Alloa five miles away. Quite thin on the ground, I'll just stick to carrying an extra bottle or two.
I would carry a bottle anyway but surprising there are any at all and a big improvement on the past. That map I think is dated 2019 so there are more now but obviously in more tourist type areas. I seldom had problems in the past. Somewhere near Lochailort I remember getting an unfriendly reception.

There's a place opened up near me called "Scoop and Reuse" or similar. Basically you take your container(s) and fill them up with flour, peanuts, spices, whatever. It's going back to shopping before pre packaged stuff and I think it's great. Prices weren't any more either. I'll be using it in the future.
We have these in most Oxon towns. Waitrose have also hijacked the idea, the scoundrels ...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If my years in the army only taught me one thing, it was not to drink the tap water south of a line from Preston to Hull.

Because of the lack of vibrio cholerae?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
There's a place opened up near me called "Scoop and Reuse" or similar. Basically you take your container(s) and fill them up with flour, peanuts, spices, whatever. It's going back to shopping before pre packaged stuff and I think it's great. Prices weren't any more either. I'll be using it in the future.

Should be less. The product can be transported in bulk and doesn’t need the extra costs of packaging.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
We have these in most Oxon towns. Waitrose have also hijacked the idea, the scoundrels ...
I'm not exactly sure how it works, but at this place you can place an order by phone and it gets delivered via cargo bike. I'm thinking of volunteering to do the odd delivery. If only to ride the cargo bike!

Should be less. The product can be transported in bulk and doesn’t need the extra costs of packaging.
I doubt if the shops buy the stuff in bulk, unless they have massive storerooms. It will be delivered in smallish containers, which then have to be used to fill up the shop containers.

I doubt that packaging of high volume goods adds a huge cost to them, but it does help in marketing and shelf-stacking costs. That is part of the problem....wrapping is relatively cheap in the mass marketing of food, but comes at an environmental cost.

classic33

Leg End Member
I doubt if the shops buy the stuff in bulk, unless they have massive storerooms. It will be delivered in smallish containers, which then have to be used to fill up the shop containers.

I doubt that packaging of high volume goods adds a huge cost to them, but it does help in marketing and shelf-stacking costs. That is part of the problem....wrapping is relatively cheap in the mass marketing of food, but comes at an environmental cost.
Not food or perishables. But the amount of packaging that came with some stock was beyond belief.

Stock arrived, into us from a central company warehouse, one box already gone. We then had at least one more box, card dividers, plastic bag, tissue paper, backing card and sometimes bubble wrap and blown polystyrene packing to deal with before putting the goods on the shelves.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom