Shortages Permanent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
"food shortages could be permanent" seems like a coded message to government saying "we don't want to pay higher wages for UK workers so the government needs to help us out".

Soon someone in the government will get the memo and all will be well again. Eventually. Well, kind of. Mostly.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It's not just food someone who i know works for a car manufacturer and is due a change of company car soon and has been told to keep running his current one due to the shortages of eproms and other parts

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's not just food someone who i know works for a car manufacturer and is due a change of company car soon and has been told to keep running his current one due to the shortages of eproms and other parts
That’s the great thing about Dacia - they don’t rely on chips, they still use valves!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Brexit just keeps on giving....so far it's the pandemic....then a pingdemic....English Nationalist Party (formerly known as the Tories) avoiding the B word. What do you expect when you've built an economy relying on these supply chains which in turn relies on easy movement of goods a la single market & customs union. but Brexiteers have plenty of 'sovverrinty' to put on the shelves I suppose. Yes, we made a sovereign decision to effectively impose sanctions on ourselves.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
How is an independent shop going to compete with the buying power of a supermarket chain ? Tesco tell it's suppliers what they want the price to be of their goods.

This is it.

Too much buying power in too few hands.

We have a situation where there are many suppliers, selling into system and of course many 'consumers'.

But the goods are squeezed through a narrow neck of value extraction and price control in the form of the largely unregulated processors, and buyers from the multiples .

This leads to problems at both ends of the supply chain.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
As an aside this is largely what the ongoing farmer protests in Delhi are about.

Coming up to a year now .

The Modi gov wants to break up the delicately balanced price guarantee system, currently operated through multiple medium scaled wholesalers in India, and open it up to 'free marketeers' this pushing many small to medium sized farmers, who feed the majority of the population, out of business, and off their land.

Thus enabling larger scaled business to move in and make more profit, at the expense of farmers, and food security.

Cirrus

Veteran

Well best safe than sorry....

Because of the lack of vibrio cholerae?
Because of the lack of lack of taste.

Drago

Legendary Member
Still not spotted any shortages here in Poshshire, although I have noticed that the Haberdasher now keeps the Beluga Caviar under the counter for his special customers.

At the moment there are a lot more spaces on supermarket shelves, probably in Poshshire as well as the rest of the UK, unless they are receiving special treatment. It does not seem that these shortages are causing too many problems, but the fact that they exist cannot be denied. The causes are a bit more complex and probably dependant on your political leanings.

Reactions: C R

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Well you've gone and spoiled that now haven't you? The secret is out...

All being well I'm passing through that area on Wednesday

Might have to do a detour via Waitrose-Dahling. :becool:

P.s that's not me being over familiar btw, but what we have to say if any one of us farm folk is going to that shop.

"Do you need anything from Waitrose-Dahling??"

Drago

Legendary Member
Good grief. Only commoners who have delusions of poshness shop at Waitrose. Even my butler won't demean himself by stepping across their threshold. Fortnum's or the Farm Shop is where us upper class types buy our Vesta chow mein.

Top Bottom