1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shorted my battery!

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Pete, 11 Mar 2008.

  1. Pete

    Pete Guest

    ...battery for the front lights, that is. Type Electron Ni-MH 4.8Ah - the one that is sort of block-shaped, not the bottle-shaped one.

    I didn't even notice until I tried to switch on the lights this evening (luckily I had a spare). I'd re-charged the battery only last night and installed it this morning, the wire must have chafed right through and short-circuited. I seem to recall seeing a puff of smoke out of the corner of my eye on the commute this morning but it didn't register. Lucky the battery didn't catch fire!

    Anyway I have the evidence of a length of charred wiring. I've cut out the damaged bit and spliced with a choc-block, and put the battery back on charge. Will it hold any charge now or is it kaput, I wonder? Anyone had a similar experience?
     
  2. PrettyboyTim

    PrettyboyTim New Member

    Location:
    Brighton
    I managed to short my lead-acid battery om my dual-halogen Smart lamps when I was playing aorund with it trying to measure the voltage with my multimeter. Luckily the battery was undamaged as one of the fuses blew and I was able to pick up some new ones from Maplin.
     
  3. Maz

    Maz Guru

    my bro nearly burnt his pants when he had house keys and a couple of AA batteries in the same trouser pocket...shorted the ends of the battery and gave out a mighty yelp as things started to heat up.
     
  4. Monst

    Monst New Member

    Location:
    The boonies
    Maplin - £4.99 or so for a new one.
     
  5. andygates

    andygates New Member

    The battery should be protected by a fuse... but the charred wiring isn't a good sign :biggrin:
     
  6. Pete

    Pete Guest

    No fuse evidently, possibly some sort of current-limiter. After re-charging, I ran the 10W for about 1/4 hour this evening, no problems. Normally I get a bit over two hours per charge. Fingers crossed - but I'm carrying the LED just in case.
     
  7. Globalti

    Globalti Legendary Member

    I nearly set fire to the pub last night - they had a little candle on the table; I scrunched up my napkin, put it on the table and turned away to talk to my pal over at the bar. Turned back and the whole lot was blazing. I giggled about it all the way home.