Shortening a steerer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I get replacement forks in which the steerer (aheadset type) is too long, is it OK to cut it? I've already E-mailed SJS (from whom the forks came) asking for advice, but maybe someone has the answer sooner? Advice welcome.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Yes, cut it. Be careful not to cut it too short, as it's very difficult to stick bits back on...
I'd assemble the forks with a load of spacers on, and move the stem about till you're *sure* it's the right hight, then cut.
The top of the steerer needs to be a couple of mm below the top of the stem.
use a new blade in the hacksaw, and *don't* use a pipe cutter if it's a carbon steerer.

OP
OP

661-Pete

Thanks. I might get the LBS to do it in any case (and then assemble the headset), not sure I trust myself!

Fattman

use a new blade in the hacksaw, and *don't* use a pipe cutter if it's a carbon steerer.

An ancillary question from someone who reckons they may have to do just this one day (but hasn't yet)... how critical is it that it is a perfectly square cut? Hacksawing across a pipe is tricky for the unpractised... I imagine that if it's a little bit off it won't matter that much as it's the stem that ultimately holds everything together, but there might be hidden issues?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I did it by assembling everyting, marking a line with a pencil and then cutting a bit inside it, using a mitre block. Just because I happened to have one.
It's not critical to get it square as Mr P says.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
[QUOTE 1151774"]
But your post is a better description, ultimately Pete just make sure you have the steerer set up as you want before hacking away.
[/quote]

Awwww. Thanks!
*gets warm feeling*

Don't use a hacksaw.

A tube cutter is what you need and I've cut down two steerers successfully and perfectly with a tube cutter from poundland. (Also available from machine mart the self same tool but in red for £8 http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht242-heavy-duty-tube-cutter)
After the second steerer I did thrown the tool away..it's not a daily-use tool but it will cut a steerer for a quid which is cheaper then an LBS. And the fact that it will do at least 2 cut allows you to make a practice cut higher up before you make the "real" cut

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Use a headset spacer.
You can get them 25 or 30 mm long and the edge makes a perfect guide.
Tape it in place leaving the cut guide edge clear.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Don't use a hacksaw.

A tube cutter is what you need and I've cut down two steerers successfully and perfectly with a tube cutter from poundland. (Also available from machine mart the self same tool but in red for £8 http://www.machinema...uty-tube-cutter)
After the second steerer I did thrown the tool away..it's not a daily-use tool but it will cut a steerer for a quid which is cheaper then an LBS. And the fact that it will do at least 2 cut allows you to make a practice cut higher up before you make the "real" cut

Use a tube cutter by all means IF AND ONLY IF it's a metal steerer.
You'll total a carbon steerer with a tube cutter. It'll delaminate and be generally wrecked.
Why do you say don't use a hacksaw? It worked perfectly well for me.

Use a tube cutter by all means IF AND ONLY IF it's a metal steerer.

Why do you say don't use a hacksaw? It worked perfectly well for me.

Good point, my bad, should have mentioned the metal steerer (kind of stating the obvious but perhaps not to everyone)

I say "don't use a hacksaw" because I don't know anyone's metalworking and tool handling abilities. I've cut them down with a hacksaw plenty of times, including threaded (easier to do, just screw two old headset cups onto threads and use as a saw guide) but as a rule, assuming no experience cutting tube with a hacksaw, it is good advice to use a tube cutter rather than learn an expensive lesson in saw handling.

Nothing inherently wrong with using a hacksaw but more scope for disaster

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just take it steady. One little tip, always worth having a small spacer on top of the stem (between stem and top cap) - maybe 5mm - 10mm, this means that the stem fully tightens on the steerer and stops any creaks.....

It's also what the likes of Trek recommend on carbon steerers

Top Bottom