Shorter stem for my Olmo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyA

Über Member
I have been riding about on my old Olmo for a couple of weeks now after converting it to a single speed and find that the reach to the brake levers is uncomfortable. It is just a little too much of a stretch. It is many years since I used to ride it regularly but now I do remember having the same problem back then but I just put up with it. I am used to the fit of my Jake the Snake now which is just a perfect fit and everything seems to be just in the right place. I have measured the distance from the centre of the bars to the centre of the seat post on the Jake and it is 60cms whereas on the Olmo it is 63cms. I know the geometry of the two bikes is completely different but if I could obtain the same distance on the Olmo then the bike should feel much more comfortable. I don't want to move the saddle about as otherwise the setup feels ok. The stem on the Olmo is 90mm c/c along the top. If I switched to a 60mm stem would this be too drastic, ie, would the bike be twitchy with a shorter stem or would the control feel much the same?

raindog

er.....
No, it won't feel twitchy - do it, and enjoy your riding. :smile:

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
I tried that first and have the levers as far up the bar as I can, but beyond a certain point it becomes more uncomfortable as my wrists are at an awkward angle.
Thanks for suggesting it anyway.

Top Bottom