Shorter Stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Hi Guys,
Just over a year ago, I had an off on the bike and shattered my elbow. After surgery, I am now unable to fully straighten my left arm. I went out for my first ride in 14 months yesterday and even on a short ride, it felt uncomfortable due to the reach. I've had an idea to put a slightly shorter stem on so the reach is slightly less. I haven't measured it yet but I believe it's a 100mm at the moment and I thought of dropping it to a 70 or 80mm. My questions are firstly, do you think it will make any difference and secondly, how much does a shorter stem affect the handling? Thanks for any comments.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
if you cant straighten your arm then yes a shorter stem will help , i broke my collar bone and since then i had to put a 10 mm shorter stem on for comfort .
There are some that say that sticking a shorter stem on affects handling but TBH i have ridden loads of bikes with varying stems and theres nothing that affects the handling enough that you dont automatically compensate for , on the road you mostly steer by leaning anyway :smile:

GuyBoden

Guru
Yes, I changed to 80mm stems about 3-4 years ago, as I've got older my back isn't as flexible.

No problem with steering, or I should say, not really noticeable when pootling around Cheshire.

Hey there…had an accident in 2019 and had to have radial head replacement…meh…after a while and getting back on the bike , the reach of my right arm is about 5cm less. Shorter stem helped a lot

OP
OP
Sterlo

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
If you are interested, GCN compared the handling on the same bike for different stems of 140mm, 110mm and 80mm.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B69I_uayeMA

I know that they're ex-pros and travel a lot faster but I didn't like their "twitchy" comments, especially as I've already ordered an 80mm. Hope I haven't wasted my money, guess I'll find out when it arrives and I try it first hand. Thanks again for all of your comments and advice, I'll report back as and when.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I know that they're ex-pros and travel a lot faster but I didn't like their "twitchy" comments, especially as I've already ordered an 80mm. Hope I haven't wasted my money, guess I'll find out when it arrives and I try it first hand. Thanks again for all of your comments and advice, I'll report back as and when.

I run a 70mm on my Holdsworth and have no bother at all.

Lozz360

Veteran

I wouldn’t worry. Even if you do find the shorter stem twitchy at first, chances are you will get used it. Getting the right fit is more important IMHO.

Kajjal

Guru
Running a much shorter stem like I do on my mountain bike means the steering is more responsive. For only a minor change in stem length the better riding position you need will far outweigh any change in handling normally.

Top Bottom