"Shot in backstays"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I've come across this term a little when looking at frames but can't find a definition - could someone please enlighten me? Ta :smile:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Try searching for "shot in seat stays".

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A lot of work compared to just welding em on the side.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Try searching for "shot in seat stays".
Thanks - found this thread on Retrobike which appears to explain it.

In essence (and please correct me if I'm wrong) it appears that "shot in" stays essentially intersect / are attached to the seat tube end-on, rather than the more traditional method of attaching them to the sides of the seat tube and cutting them at an angle to give a smoother aesthetic.

Not sure what the advantage is of shot-in stays other than aesthetic; seems like a weaker way to to attach the two parts tbh due to the reduced contact area for brazing. I guess pretty much all modern tig-welded steel frames are "shot in" by this definition.

Cambram

Have a look at Fake Colnago posted by Cambram in this section. Second or third page shows pictures at various stages of "restoring" my frame with what I understand are "Shot In" seat stays. It requires a steady hand and the right diameter file to get the angle correct. They look neat when finished and reduces the width over the stays at the top perhaps with the intent of reducing drag. A couple of inches off my waistline would be even better.

Shot in stays have a bit of a reputation for cracking under extreme stress. For example, SBDU did not recommend them for bikes that were going to be raced. I don’t have any evidence that this is a real world, normal usage problem.

midlife

Guru
Carlton had their own version called the "Victor" seat stay cluster, but dropped it because of problems with failure. Strange setup with the seat stays tapering down to almost a point where they went into the seat lug. Early Giro D'Italia frames had them. I'll have a Google.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shot in stays have a bit of a reputation for cracking under extreme stress. For example, SBDU did not recommend them for bikes that were going to be raced. I don’t have any evidence that this is a real world, normal usage problem.

30 years and counting on my handbuilt SLX with fastback. Looks miles better than on the sides

Top Bottom