Should cycling be a basic expectation? -other people's children

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
I think I must have been a neglected child. I didn't have a bike, or learn to ride one, until I was nine. Taught myself to swim at 14.

I was also fairly late learning to swim - 12or 13 - until them I just couldn't do it, and then suddenly, I could. I asked my Mum to sponsor me in a sponsored swim at school, and neglected to tell her I'd got quite good, so she promised me some whopping sum per width, thinking I'd only manage one....;)

Maz, I think learning to ride a bike is easier as a kid, because its one of those things it's better not to analyse. Think about it too much, and it starts to go pear shaped. Also, you bounce better as a kid - as an adult the fear of falling is probably much worse.

Young Un

Think I learnt to ride at about 6?
Was waterskiing at 7
Oh and wakeboarding at 9

atbman

Veteran
ChrisKH said:
I have a nine year old I can't get off the bike and a six year old who won't get on one. Islabike Beinn 20" anyone? Never used.

Since I can't bear to see disappointment, we'll take it off your hands for a fiver and even pay the transport costs ;)

Brains

Legendary Member
I run an Explorer Scout Unit - the number of 15+ year old non cyclists rises year on year.

Same with slow walkers.
We compared an identical Alpine hike done 20 years ago with the same age group.
20 years ago they did it it one day, now it take two days.
The entire route covered in two weeks what the group 20 years earlier had done in one week, so it's not a 'one off'

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't have children of my own but based on my observation of parents I know, there seems to be a sort of "I can't put my wee Billy on a bike, he might fall and hurt himself" thinking creeping in to society today. I can only recall two specific incidents where I fell of a bike as a youngster but I'm sure there are many others I forgotten about. It's only a question of cuts and grazes in most cases. I would think that's better than having them sitting in front of the TV developing high blood pressure, diabetes and all other sorts of conditions brought on by lack of exercise.

ChrisKH

Guru
Have you asked Isla what she'll give you to buy it back?

I live in hope that he will do it this year, under peer pressure. He's quite happy riding a tagalong but refuses point blank to learn to ride on his own. Very headstrong. I may resell eventually, but he still fits it at the moment.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
another_dave_b said:
In yesteryear your bike was your main toy. Kids these days just have different toys, and you don't pedal them.
S'true! Also sort of depends where you live (access to openness), attitude of parents (some very soft ones out there, sadly), time to just play (many kids have their lives timetabled by parents... ours just left us to get on with it... being bored and finding stuff to do yourself is something many kids don't have these days :wacko:).

On a side note, re: swimming etc... I learned to dive (really quite well, too, off the boards and stuff) before I could properly swim... doh! Got that the wrong way round! Dad used to watch me go off the board, then come and 'rescue' me when I surfaced.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
I live in hope that he will do it this year, under peer pressure. He's quite happy riding a tagalong but refuses point blank to learn to ride on his own. Very headstrong. I may resell eventually, but he still fits it at the moment.

Perhaps you should forbid him to try...:wacko:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ah, but I bet dad took you up in his Spit didn't he?

Chocks away!

If he had, I think I'd have been lucky to survive the landing, from the photos I've seen....:wacko:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
marinyork said:
With how many people are driven to school I'm surprised kids have actually learned to walk!
This is a real conversation which took place at the National Trust beauty spot of Hardcastle Crags, near Hebden Bridge:

Man in car, anxiously: "So, the only car park is here, and the visitor centre is a mile that way...?"

Me astride mountain bike, cheerfully: "Yes, there is a lovely walk to it through the woods, down by the river, just take that footpath."

Man in car, angrily: "Yeah, right, and just how am I bloody well supposed to get my kids there and back - he is 10 years old and she is only 8!"

Maz

Guru
Brains said:
We compared an identical Alpine hike done 20 years ago with the same age group. 20 years ago they did it it one day, now it take two days.
That's Plate Tectonics for you.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ColinJ said:
This is a real conversation which took place at the National Trust beauty spot of Hardcastle Crags, near Hebden Bridge:

Man in car, anxiously: "So, the only car park is here, and the visitor centre is a mile that way...?"

Me astride mountain bike, cheerfully: "Yes, there is a lovely walk to it through the woods, down by the river, just take that footpath."

Man in car, angrily: "Yeah, right, and just how am I bloody well supposed to get my kids there and back - he is 10 years old and she is only 8!"

<bangs head on desk repeatedly>

I might, if I'd thought quickly enough, have told him to ring the Visitor Centre and ask if they could send someone along with a pair of wheelchairs, to see if he got the point....

Chris, you never know, if he's resisting because you're keen, just ignoring the whole issue might work. He might be afraid of failing and letting you down or something. Sooner or later peer (and elder sibling) pressure might just do the trick. (spoken with all the authority of a childless spinster, I hasten to add;))

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
tyred said:
I can only recall two specific incidents where I fell of a bike as a youngster but I'm sure there are many others I forgotten about. It's only a question of cuts and grazes in most cases.

Hmm... I think I must have been worse than you... I remember falling off into the rose bushes which went around our lawn, and falling off in front of a car, falling off because I tried to take a corner too fast etc...

In fact when at uni and I mentioned being on a bike ride... my Mum sounded very anxious. She is fine with it now but I did seem to have lots of accidents on bikes - though equally she did let me carry on cycling.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Arch said:
<bangs head on desk repeatedly>

I might, if I'd thought quickly enough, have told him to ring the Visitor Centre and ask if they could send someone along with a pair of wheelchairs, to see if he got the point....
I think that I did mutter under my breath something along the lines of "Sorry! I didn't realise that they were disabled..." :biggrin:!

(They didn't appear to be, and I'm sure that the driver would have said "How do I get my disabled children there?" if they had been.***)

I know that many people don't walk much these days, but why go to a place known for its beautiful walks and then expect to drive to the cafe?

If I'd gone to a place like that at the age of 8, my parents would have had to spend hours trying to find me because I'd have been running about all over the place exploring!

*** There are actually two parking spots for the disabled at the Gibson Mill Visitor Centre - you need to phone in advance to book them. National Trust Hardcastle Crags information here.

Top Bottom