Should cyclists be subject to the same drink laws as drivers when on the roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Oh my god, that word makes me want to kill people.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Although this seems to be about motor vehicles, it applies to "mechanically propelled vehicles" broadly..

http://www.drinkdrivinglaw.co.uk/offences/in_charge_of_a_vehicle_with_excess_alcohol.htm

In theory if you are in charge of a bike, regardless of whether you are actually riding, pushing, holding, sitting next to or otherwise, you can be charged with an offense if you are unfit to be in charge of it through drink or drugs, as it a mechanically propelled vehicle.

The FAQ about smoking in a vehicle is interesting, as it is the defendant's responsibility to prove that they had no intention of using the vehicle whilst unfit, rather than the police's to prove that he has or intended to commit an offence.

Linford

2014839 said:
Boot on other foot. This started with you suggesting that motorists and bikers have a hard time on this score. I have been trying to lead you to see that this is an appropriate level of severity. At no time have I been winging nor have I suggested that motorists get soft treatment.

And I have also stated I have little sympathy for anyone getting done for D/D

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
2014852 said:
Only if you are confident that it isn't just random words. Possibly generated by a rogue version of the program used to write Mr Men stories

Good point, no I'm not, this is certainly a slicker version of Linf, perhaps it's Linf 2.0

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Equally, if Parliament or the Police felt there was a danger posed by drunk cyclists there'd be the power to test for it.
There isn't.
I've never heard of anyone being injured by a drunk cyclist.
Conversely I have heard of people being injured by cyclists who were not drunk. Now I'm beginning to wonder if a few chugs of your favorite booze should perhaps be compulsory before mounting your beast. Or getting on ones bike.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Oh my god, that word makes me want to kill people.
Me too. Sorry, it just slipped out...:cry:

Dan B

Disengaged member
Remove the redundant word "heavy" and that covers bikes as well, so you have my thanks for your support. :biggrin:
The existence of light machinery (for example, a pair of scissors, a small mechanical balance, a wrist watch) is sufficient to demonstrate that the word "heavy" is not in fact redundant. Unless you're suggesting that drunk people should be restricted to wearing timepieces that contain no moving parts

Dan B

Disengaged member
It would be an automatic 12 month ban for sitting on a motorcycle whilst over the limit on a public highway. The same would be applicable if it were in motion. Same applies to a car driver. Have a skinful and decide to sleep it off in a car outside the pub but climb into the drivers seat instead of any of the others and you are risking a ban/fine/etc.
There are statutory defences, so the ban is clearly not "automatic".

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I quite agree, but neither of them has anything to do with cycling into lamp-posts and wobbling into ditches, .

... or wobbling down a canal tow path in the dark after far too many Diamond Whites may moons ago. Yes I fell in and yes I did have the book thown at me. It's just that it was my old girl who did the throwing and the book was actually a tea towel. Ok I may have been a danger to the few ducks knocking about, eyeing me with a WTF expression, but that was about it.

Top Bottom