Should England have its own national anthem and what should it be (for football matches and such like)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
We need to start with the basics first and get them flying their own flag before we try getting them to sing their own song! Here they are, flying the flag which incorporates the cross of St Andrew and St Patrick, as well as St George..... :rolleyes:

1591511856511.png

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Something a bit backward-looking? Celebrating past glories? A dash of we are the best, a soupçon of royalism and a nod to an unspecified religion? And a rollicking good tune? There can only be one choice. Ladies and gentlemen - I give you the Agincourt Carol.

(This was genuinely used as an anthem at the Trafalgar Square event in 2005 to celebrate the award of the Olympics to London.)

Last edited:

PaulB

Legendary Member
We need to start with the basics first and get them flying their own flag before we try getting them to sing their own song! Here they are, flying the flag which incorporates the cross of St Andrew and St Patrick, as well as St George..... :rolleyes:

View attachment 528027

That really boils my urine, that does. Do you ever see the Stars and Stripes disfigured with some ridiculous word or phrase on it? No, it's considered pretty much sacrosanct, not suitable to despoil but the English flag! It's like some people think it HAS to be despoiled. 'Hmm, I've got to let everyone know of the superiority of Milton Keynes*' or something. Even manufacturers of items with some dubious sporting link - Umbro or JD Sports being amongst the worst offenders - seem to think they MUST shoehorn their logo onto it.

* Other towns, villages and cities are available.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I’d go for Kirsty MacColl and Billy Bragg’s New England

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There were words to it when I was a kid.
Can't recall what they were..... ....ohh yes, got it.
na nana na nana nana.
na nana na nana nana

Has to be in tune of course.

Here comes the hotstepper was around some decades before Ini Kamoze :ohmy:.

Top Bottom