Should have gone to Specsavers - Chain advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jsaipe

Über Member
I fitted a new chain recently and stupidly routed it on the outer side of the cage plate housing the jockey wheels, rather than on the inside. I've been running it that way for 500km wondering why it sounded so rough. Yes, I should have gone to Specsavers. Doh! 🙃 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, I've now refitted the chain correctly. Would you recommend getting a new chain, given that it has had more wear and tear than it should have? It seems to be running smoothly now, but I may have already done irreversible damage.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Try it - I'm guessing there's not been much mileage.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You'll be fine provided you can't see any damage on visual inspection of the chain or the tab on the rear mech cage.
Think of it as bonus resistance training.

Reactions: C R

Mr Celine

Discordian
I thought everyone did that. But only once. :rolleyes:

My chain had sawn half way through the tab on the cage by the time I'd noticed. The chain worked fine after re-routing it and the damaged cage is still in situ after many thousands of miles.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I thought everyone did that. But only once. :rolleyes:

Further inspection reveals that some of us are daft enough to do this twice, albeit the second time the error was spotted fairly quickly.

@jsaipe this was done at least 10 years and 15000 miles ago. I don't remember replacing the chain at the time, and the gouges on the tab don't affect the operation of the derailleur, even when it's as clarty as this.

Top Bottom