Should I be worried with cf forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu9

Yes I've been "Googling it" so to speak, but wondered what some of the thoughts are here on them....because IF I go for a rd bike, I'm now swinging towards the triban 3 in white the alloy forks....should I?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Nothing to worry about. Many cyclists have cycled many many many miles on carbon forks and have had no issues.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Carbon forks on my mountain bike take a hell of a beating and I can stand the bike on its nose on them.

OP
OP
S

Stu9

Thanks.....I meant to edit it to say that there's a lot of stuff about and that you'd all probably be sick to the teeth of answering and not to bother, but I forgot, but I guess like you say there's nothing to worry about

OP
OP
S

Stu9

I wouldn't be doing anything like anyway......BUT

I saw a red T3 on eBay and was going to go for it, the seller said they'd take 250, but if go an extra 50, I could buy new albeit with alloy forks instead of carbon....is it worth it, going for the second one that is when there's only 50 quid in it....plus I'd have a new one, just that I'd have alloy

OP
OP
S

Stu9

I know this was aimed at reg.....but there's no way I'm paying that for forks on a bike that's only 300 quid....I'd probably never notice the diffirence anyway the riding I'd do

Davidc

Guru
I've ridden a bike with them, a few years old one too, and they're comfortable (which ali forks aren't). From reviews and articles on them all you need to do is look carefully for any dents or dings or other signs of damage and replace if there is any.

Other materials can fail as well. Keeping a look out for damage is a good idea with all bike frames, forks, wheels, and other critical parts, irrespective of what they're made of.

OP
OP
S

Stu9

Fair enough.....my next problem is wether a 21" will suit....I'm 5 11 and sat on one the other day, it felt ok but when I sat on a 22 (or a 23 Christ I don't remember) it felt fine too, but had a slightly better reach but not a lot

Globalti

Legendary Member
The best way is to test ride the bike under the watchful eye of someone experienced; most cyclists will be able to tell you if it looks right or not.

OP
OP
S

Stu9

Yep, and they did...a 21"'s to just a tad to small, so a 21" it is...and all I can in the Triban range now (in my price) is the T5 or the new T3 (which I'm not keen on)

Brandane

Legendary Member
Carbon forks on my mountain bike take a hell of a beating and I can stand the bike on its nose on them.

+1. My MTB has disc brakes too, so most of the braking force goes through the left fork. The flex does mean that the front brakes need a bit more effort than they did with the suspension fork.

Top Bottom