Should I become a teacher?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I think this country suffers from a general malaise when it comes to the study of foreign languages. So few students take it up at A-level and beyond. I heard on R4 recently that the majority of English interpeters working for the EU in Brussels don't have English as their first language.

Bigtallfatbloke

So..erm..if I got a TEfal could I cycle the world teaching as I went to pay for the trip?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Bigtallfatbloke said:
So..erm..if I got a TEfal could I cycle the world teaching as I went to pay for the trip?
Yes, but bear in mind if you want more than cash in hand you'd be on contracts.. cash in hand would also take time to become regular...
(btw, TEFL = teaching English as a Foreign Language, whereas TEFAL = Teaching English as a non-stick frying pan ;):becool:)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My daughters' school teaches both French and German, but you only learn one of the languages for the first two years. After that if you are in the top set for one of the languages you are offered the opertunity to take up the second language - but it means staying for an extra 2 hours one night a week. So far daughter 1 is doing this, but as the nights get darker I can see her commitment fading, as she then has to catch a regular bus home rather than a dedicated school bus, so longer walk at both ends. I wish they could fit it in better if they are to keep the kids interested in languages.

I think other schools nearby also teach spanish.

Its probably a good point about A-level's - I know some teachers who prefer teaching A-levels or at least teaching A-level as well as GCSE, but only a small number of local schools have 6th forms.

yello

Maz said:
So few students take it up at A-level and beyond

That some even take a language to any level is a good thing! Being schooled in NZ, there was no language option at all!

I was astounded when I first arrived in the UK to hear people say they didn't study a foreign language at school when what they meant was they'd only studied French or German to O level.

Top Bottom