Should I buy an Induction hob?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
We had one in a very remote holiday cottage we rented a couple of weeks or so ago. I have to say, as someone who has used gas for over 35 years, I was impressed.
The one thing I didn't like was the glass. I didn't look closely for scratches and I don't know whether it was being used to the solidity of a gas hob, but putting pans on the glass was slightly toe curling, just in case I caused damage.

lane

Veteran
Not if you or someone in the house has a pacemaker or might get one in the future.

Old jon

Guru
^^^ Wot 'e sez
Just fitted one here, well a month ago. One upthread does 0 to 9 in 0.5 steps, mine does that range in 1.0 steps. I have yet to find this a problem. A great piece of kit. Chopping boards may make it complain, even when cold, think it is part of the spill detection.

dodgy

I would like an induction hob but our current gas hob is just too handy with a deep well that catches the contents of the pans as they boil over, which is a common occurrence with me 😀

I think some of the smarter induction hobs have some sort of boil over sensing but I could be making that up.

Induction hobs have spill protection, so if a pan does boil over it will beep and turn the hob off/down. They're so controllable, that in effect they seldom boil over.
You've just written an argument to upgrade (I can see you already know that) :laugh:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
If you can, you should. At the old house we had a ceramic hob, got red hot and stayed that way ages after use, scary beast and I never liked it. Fitted a Bosch induction after a kitchen refit and never looked back. Super fast at heating things up, no wasted heat like you get with gas and very controllable. Never had an issue with the glass scratching or otherwise.
Moved house 3 years ago and we're on a gas hob all over again, hate it. Takes forever to do anything and a sod to clean. Needless to say in due course it will be replaced with an induction.
Something to be mindful of is the electrical supply requirement. Most of the big names will allow 2 options on the same hob. The first is a single cable connection to a 13A fused spur. The hob recognises this, and if you are running all 4 rings it cycles the power around them. Apparently you'd be hard pushed to notice. The 2nd option is a dedicated 32A or 40A supply which will need either 6mm or 10mm cable run back to your distribution board and it's own circuit. This allows the hob to run full power to all 4 'rings' at once.

I’ve got a range cooker where the hob is gas and when we’ve stayed in holiday homes with an induction job I’ve hated them, gas is just so much easier and controllable.
Were these induction or ceramic hobs? Induction does not heat up the glass surface.

Gunk

Guru
I know the difference, it was an induction hob. We were in France last week and the house we rented had one fitted, not for us I’m afraid.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've never used one but I have friends who wouldn't use anything else. A recent Which? report gave the Ikea Matmassig a very good review. At £255 it was half the cost of an AEG which only scored a bit higher. Comes with a 5 year guarantee too.

Yes, love it. We had a gas hob before. Induction is as good/controllable but easy to clean. When I've been cooking that's vital.
Tried a cheap one - not good (Ikea). Got a Stoves one on a range cooker (Belling group) - brilliant

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have done the research and just bought a fancy pants Neff induction hob for the new extension. It has large zones, where you can fit multiple pans at the same time. It does lots of other tricks too which I need to read the manual to find out.

Venod

Eh up
I have asked the wife's opinion, we had had a gas hob before refitting the kitchen, she gives the induction the thumbs up, I have to agree, I never got on with the gas hob but the wife liked it but she likes the induction hob more.

Top Bottom