Should I buy an Induction hob?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
As I do all the cooking, it's my most used appliance, so it's a pain if it's not that great to use and hard to clean.
You do the cooking and the cleaning? :wacko:

My experience of induction hobs is limited to holiday accommodation in Portugal this summer. Three of the rings had only one setting, a red flashing E. A red flashing F would have been more logical, the portugese for cold being frio.

The other ring was quite impressive, but give me gas anyday.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
You do the cooking and the cleaning? :wacko:

My experience of induction hobs is limited to holiday accommodation in Portugal this summer. Three of the rings had only one setting, a red flashing E. A red flashing F would have been more logical, the portugese for cold being frio.

The other ring was quite impressive, but give me gas anyday.
Don’t be silly! Of course I don’t do the cleaning!

Looking at kitchen refit for terraced house galley kitchen. The induction hobs are either 35cm or 58-60cm, nothing inbetween except for some v expensive 57cm from Seimans and NEF.
My compact gas cooker is 55cm.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Looking at kitchen refit for terraced house galley kitchen. The induction hobs are either 35cm or 58-60cm, nothing inbetween except for some v expensive 57cm from Seimans and NEF.
My compact gas cooker is 55cm.

I'm looking for a freestanding cooker with a 55cm width. If anyone can find an induction hob in that size I'd be very interested. Must be freestanding, not integrated.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Dears

Currently we have one of those 5 burner gas hobs, you know, the one with the big wok-ring in the middle. To be honest, as hobs go it's not great, control is poor and at very low settings the small burner often gets blown-out. It's also a pain to clean. I've threatened to replace it many times.

When I was up in the Outer Hebs. I used my friends Induction hob and was pretty damned impressed! Apparently it's also the eco-choice as well being low power/high efficiency and of course not burning gas.
In terms of pots and pans, we have a few copper bottom ones and the odd aluminium pan that we won't be able to use, other than that we have some Stainless heavy-bottomed pans and a myriad of cast-iron skillets and casseroles. Also have a large Typhoon steel wok which is an essential that must work!

So, what are people's experience of Induction hobs (in particular vs. gas hobs)?
Induction for us. Our second one. Only because we moved house. Best bit of kit for the kitchen, so easy to clean. instant controls, love it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I like the idea of dual fuel, currently a gas cooker and an electric microwave.

The thinking being that if one power source is interrupted I can still do some cooking with the other.

I apply the same logic to heating.

An electricity interruption also knocks out the gas fired boiler, but I can still light a couple of gas rings for heat, or the oven with the door open.

If things get really bad I have two open fireplaces.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Just remembered a downside to our 10 year old Neff induction hob. The rings are different sizes and it won't work if you put the wrong size pan on the ring. I find this a bit annoying at times as we don't have much storage so leave all our pans out on the stove 24/7, and it this involves switching them around.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Just remembered a downside to our 10 year old Neff induction hob. The rings are different sizes and it won't work if you put the wrong size pan on the ring. I find this a bit annoying at times as we don't have much storage so leave all our pans out on the stove 24/7, and it this involves switching them around.
Never had that problem with our Neff. but it's only a couple of years old. Our first one was a Bosch did not matter what size pan you put on that either.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Thinking about it, it only applies to the Scoville pans, which have some sort of super dooper non stick costing on them. The Ikea pans work ok on any ring.

Our main reason for getting an induction hob was child safety when the children were small. Managed to get an ex display Neff one very cheap but would definitely get another next time.

Top Bottom