Should I buy this one or this one..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shippers

It's another one of those advice posts- when veturing into the world of single speeds (have no desire to fix it just now...) should I go for the revolution courier single '10, which looks a bit like this;
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...3&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018333c018338
and can be mine for £224, or....

The Carrera Subway Zero single speed, which looks like this-
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...3&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c018333c018338
and can me mine for only £192.

I think the subway is winning at the moment- 700c wheels and it's a bit lighter. The Revlution has a clever flippy roundy wheel so it can be fixed or single speed, but the carrera might well do that too. ("Flip-flop 700c wheel anyone?)

It's to be used to chase the kids round the park, to take on holiday and as a winter commuter- 13 miles each way through leeds. (Might take a bit longer than on the Secteur Sport!)

Advice? Ta.

bauldbairn

Both links are for the same bike! :wacko: ;)

I've got an EBC Courier which I use to commute and it's a good enough bike - not single speed though, but they're value for money. :smile:

colinr

Flip flop hub suggests it can be changed between fixed/ss, the picture shows teeth on both sides of the hub.
If you're planning to go fixed, how hilly is your route? The Subway is geared a tad low (46/16) so you'll be spinning pretty fast downhill (or braking).
Slightly heavier than what I'd look for in an alu fixed but that's being fussy, doesn't look at all bad for £190.

OP
OP
shippers

shippers

Thanks for that- there's a very long, steady climb on the way in, about 4 or 5 miles. (Leeds city centre to Holt Park, if anyone knows it.) and a short sharp swine on the way home. (Stourton roundabout.)

Hmmmm... hadn't spotted that point. The carrara is slightly lighter too, but I guess for £200 you can't have everything.

crumpetman

I have a subway zero! I have yet to see another one on the road although I have seen two images online from other owners.

For the money I think it is good. It does indeed have a flip flop hub and is the same ratio on both sides.

I ran mine single speed for about 8 months but was only riding a few times a week, about 5 miles each time. Recently I started commuting on it, 14 miles each way and it does the job fine.

A month into the commute I had it changed to fixed gear and did really enjoy it although it was a lot more exercise and I scared the crap out of myself coming down a steep hill.

A few days ago I had it put back as a single speed (that was not the plan but Halfords put the wheel on the wrong way round and I couldn't be bothered to wait for them to change it or do it myself) and my commute is so much easier. Might have another go at the hill now.

I am looking at a new bike, something like a specialized allez or secteur actually. Had a go on an allez sport and it is A LOT nicer to ride than the subway zero but then it is over 3 times the price.

In conclusion, for £190 I think the subway zero is a good deal. It's a nice easy to ride workhouse of a bike, you can put mudguards and a pannier on it, ride round the park and cycle paths as well as roads.

OP
OP
shippers

shippers

I have a subway zero! I have yet to see another one on the road although I have seen two images online from other owners.

For the money I think it is good. It does indeed have a flip flop hub and is the same ratio on both sides.

I ran mine single speed for about 8 months but was only riding a few times a week, about 5 miles each time. Recently I started commuting on it, 14 miles each way and it does the job fine.

A month into the commute I had it changed to fixed gear and did really enjoy it although it was a lot more exercise and I scared the crap out of myself coming down a steep hill.

A few days ago I had it put back as a single speed (that was not the plan but Halfords put the wheel on the wrong way round and I couldn't be bothered to wait for them to change it or do it myself) and my commute is so much easier. Might have another go at the hill now.

I am looking at a new bike, something like a specialized allez or secteur actually. Had a go on an allez sport and it is A LOT nicer to ride than the subway zero but then it is over 3 times the price.

In conclusion, for £190 I think the subway zero is a good deal. It's a nice easy to ride workhouse of a bike, you can put mudguards and a pannier on it, ride round the park and cycle paths as well as roads.

Thanks for that- I'll probably go for the halfords option.

Have a look at the secteur sport. gorgeous bike- slightly more upright position so more comfortable, and the inserts on the forks make a difference over other road bikes, but if you're coming from a fixed you'll not notice.
My cycling buddy bought the allez sport- also lovely bike but... get the triple, and it's got totally slick tyres which scared him rather- there's a bit of tread with the secteur tyres.

Top Bottom