Should I clean the chain on a new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

g00se

Veteran
Hi,

Just heard from someone who knows a bit about bikes that it might be a good idea to clean and lube the chain on my new bike. He said that the chain oil normally used on new bikes is a grit magnet and it's a good idea to get it off of the chain and put a decent quality oil on it.

However, I've just read online (can't recall the link but the site's been referenced a few times on here) that it's best to leave it as the grease used at manufacture and installation will protect the chain better until it needs a regular clean.

Totally stumped - any thoughts?

april74

Just get out and ride the thing.

Buy a bottle of oil from a pound shop and oil the chain every now and then.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I find the manufacturer's wax protection quite stiff and so I ususlly wash it out with paraffin/white spirit/turps subs/BBQ fluid whatever and allow the chain to dry completely before applying some Finish Line chain lube, which is lighter and doesn't attract dirt so readily.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Two schools of thought on this one.
1 Clean off the factory grease as its no good for anything other protecting the chain form corrosion.
2 Ride the bike and apply some Oil on the chain for good measure, as the protective oil will wear off soon enough.

I've never cleaned a new chain, and have always just ridden them from new as is. You can clean it off if you want, but it won't make any difference at all

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If you would rather be inside looking at a computer screen rather than out getting your chain dirty check out the links immediately below ........
(seriously) - think I left mine for a bit until it began to look a little grubby and then started using Progold Prolink, following my own version of what has become known as the 'Mickle method' (more threads to read .......)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Just ride it, then when it needs it, wipe it and oil it. Its pretty simple.
I sometimes wont oil it for a while, other times ill do a ride or 2 on the new chain and wipe it and put some Finish line wet on it, doing the Mickle Method.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Joe24 said:
Just ride it, then when it needs it, wipe it and oil it. Its pretty simple.
I sometimes wont oil it for a while, other times ill do a ride or 2 on the new chain and wipe it and put some Finish line wet on it, doing the Mickle Method.

Yep.
Wipe-lube-wipe when grubby or dry. The whole 'grinding paste' issue is hugely overstated.
Go ride.

Mr Pig

I can't possibly matter that much. If you actually ride the bike the chain will need cleaned pretty soon anyway so how it spends the first week of its life seems irrelevant.

Fit a KMC quick link so that you can remove the chain easily then clean it regularly. If you hold the top of the chain when it's on the bike you can twist it and feel/hear how much grit is in it. I wash it in white spirit, rinse it in water with a little detergent to get the white spirit off, rinse with just water then pop it in the oven for a couple of minutes to dry. Then use a good chain lube like Finish Line Cross Country and you're away. People slate Finish Line because it's not the cheapest but you use so little it's hardly a big deal.

Fab Foodie

Mr Pig

This idea of not using solvents is bollocks, it really is. As long as you remove all of the solvent it's not a problem and the only way you're going to get all the old gunked-up lube off.

The idea that the new oil will not get into the rollers is nonsense too, of course it will. Oil will seep into the smallest crack, it's really good at it, and the parts on a bike chain are not particularly close fitting. Oil will get in there no problem at all.

dodgy

I usually wipe the side plates on a new chain with a rag and a tiny amount of GT85 (on the rag) until the plates are no longer sticky. But I don't clean the rollers or anything.

Fab Foodie

Mr Pig said:
This idea of not using solvents is bollocks, it really is. As long as you remove all of the solvent it's not a problem and the only way you're going to get all the old gunked-up lube off.

The idea that the new oil will not get into the rollers is nonsense too, of course it will. Oil will seep into the smallest crack, it's really good at it, and the parts on a bike chain are not particularly close fitting. Oil will get in there no problem at all.

Well, we'll have to agree to differ.
Over 30-odd years I've done the Sheldon Shake and used other solvent methods chain cleaners etc and the Mickle method IMO does as good if not a better job without solvents or chain removal faffing, it's simple, it works and KMC recommended it.

Top Bottom