Should I get a better lock (or just get over myself)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't worry about the bikes cost, just about anything is getting robbed from my work unless its locked down with some proper locks. A nice new cross bike would be a target. Get the best lock you can afford unless you want a long walk home. I keep telling folk at work to get proper locks.

jay clock

Massive member
This combo is great - a small D lock and a cable to loop left right and centre http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kryptonite-evolution-mini-7-lock-and-4-foot-kryptoflex-cable/

Sara_H

Guru
Don't worry about the bikes cost, just about anything is getting robbed from my work unless its locked down with some proper locks. A nice new cross bike would be a target. Get the best lock you can afford unless you want a long walk home. I keep telling folk at work to get proper locks.
That's my attitude too. My main bike isn't really worth much, but the inconvenience of having it stolen and having to replace or would be quite an annoyance!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Don't for a moment think that thieves would not carry bolt croppers that big, the guy who nearly managed to nick mine from outside the 'Criterion' pub in Leicester had some, luckily he was spotted and chased off and the curly cable lock wrapped itself around the front wheel preventing him from riding off on it.
We would have 'detained' him but none of us fancied being fetched a whack with the bolt croppers that he was waving around.

Archeress

Veteran
The way I would look at it is that it is not dependant on the cost of the bike, more it should be based on your ability to replace the bike. For some people a bike costing just 300 could be irreplaceable if they are on low earnings. If itis the case that it would be difficult to replace then a, get a good lock and b, insure the bike.

Hugs
Archeress x

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Get the heaviest lock and cable loop that you are prepared to carry around that is within your budget. Then get some insurance. Bike-specific insurance is an utter rip-off. Just look at the small print! Adding your bike to your home contents insurance is usually a very attracive alternative. They tend not to have the daft "weasel words" that bike insurers add, and the additional premium is small. I went for a sub-£30 D lock and cable set from Masterlock. I added £1500 of insurance cover for £22 or something on our house contents policy.
I don't want my bike to be nicked, but I don't want to worry about it every time I lock it up somewhere.

OP
OP
K

Kumquat

I assume the bike will be properly insured regardless of your poor student status

a, get a good lock and b, insure the bike.

Then get some insurance. Bike-specific insurance is an utter rip-off. Just look at the small print! Adding your bike to your home contents insurance is usually a very attracive alternative. They tend not to have the daft "weasel words" that bike insurers add, and the additional premium is small. I went for a sub-£30 D lock and cable set from Masterlock. I added £1500 of insurance cover for £22 or something on our house contents policy.

Thanks everyone for your help

My bike is not currently insured, but I an intending to insure it. I had been looking at bike specific insurance, but I am worried that they won't actually pay up (A friend had a bike nicked, was insured but the lock was also gone so insurance didn't pay up as no proof lock was forced). I have contents insurance covered in my halls rent, but that includes things only while in my room (ie if my laptop gets nicked from the library, tough) so won't cover my bike. Do you think it's possible to add my bike on my parents home insurance on a "home and away" type policy? Or is that legally a bit dodgy?

Any insurance recommendations? I've been looking at ETA and CyclePlan

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
When our one went to Uni we talked to our home insurers (Zurich) and they had options to add student accommodation stuff to the policy which is how the bike got insured (also the guitars). So worth asking.

If the bike is locked in Uni bike sheds a lot, you might want to consider a motorbike quality lock for there which you never bother carrying to other places because it's too heavy. Leave it locked to the shed when you are away.

subaqua

What’s the point
Butterworth Spengler are also a good insurer (Broker) to use for cycles . they use Hiscox but Hiscox wouldn't deal with me directly for the cycle insurance. I looked at putting them on home insurance but the home insurer wanted more than it cost with BS and the CTC membership. so it was a no brainer.

there were no weasly words and when I wanted a few things clarifying , like "secure immovable object " they clarified my queries IN WRITING.

they wanted a sold secure gold lock which is what I secure mine with.

runner

Guru
Get a new lock dont risk it at all its a horrid feeling when your bike gets nicked mine was a few k's worth but even if it was 50 quid id still be devistated!
I would certainly agree with that...someone has the audacity to steal your property...it makes me mad just typing this!!

My bike is not currently insured.....I have contents insurance covered in my halls rent, but that includes things only while in my room (ie if my laptop gets nicked from the library, tough) so won't cover my bike.

Are you able to store your bike in your room? If so, this might be a better place from an insurance perspective.
Do you feel the shed is more secure than your room? If so, then lock the bike in the shed with appropriate lock(s).

runner

Guru
is that the granity 54 x plus...I will be buying a top quality lock and that has been
I used the Bike Radar reviews when deciding what locks to get as they do some quite extensive tests on the locks.

I ended up with an Abus Granit x plus and an Abus chain o steel.
I usually only use the d lock as the chain is very heavy, so I only take it out if I know I'm leaving the bike somewhere well dodgy!
on my short list. It is much cheaper to buy online, cyclesurgery were charging £79 when I looked in their city centre shop recently

Sara_H

Guru
is that the granity 54 x plus...I will be buying a top quality lock and that has been
on my short list. It is much cheaper to buy online, cyclesurgery were charging £79 when I looked in their city centre shop recently
Yes, very good reviews and its not excessively heavy.
I was lucky and got mine cheap due to damaged packaging!

Top Bottom