Should I get a Fixie?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

papercorn2000

Give you a fecking good workout. Even a medium paced winter run becomes really hard on the fixie. Helps you increase your cadence and of course helps improve your handling. Those of you who took up cycling in the last 15 minutes wouldn't appreciate that!

domtyler

Über Member
mickle said:
You need to own a fixed wheel at some point if you ever wish to think of yourself as a cycling enthusiast. They provide excellent training, promote good peddling habits, are cheap to run and absolutely the best kind of bike for winter conditions because you can feel exactly what the back wheel is up to on the ice.

Oh. And they are really GOOD FUN! Lets not forget why we all started riding bikes in the first place.

Qué? Can't see how they improve ones skills in flogging dodgy gear.

bonj2

mickle said:
but.... but.... yeah, I know - I was taking the piss out of you. Flower.

mmm... course you were. You obviously knew i'd be reading this thread despite having made no posts in it thus far, and even in your quest to help someone out your thoughts turned to me. how touching. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: pull the other one

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
papercorn2000 said:
Give you a fecking good workout. Even a medium paced winter run becomes really hard on the fixie. Helps you increase your cadence and of course helps improve your handling. Those of you who took up cycling in the last 15 minutes wouldn't appreciate that!

Blimey mate, it's not that much harder than riding geared. A little harder, sure, but only a little, unless you're not used to fixed that is.

Pete, since you haven't tried it, I reckon you shouldn't be knocking fixed. I'm not being precious, but there must be at least a couple reasons it's so good, else you wouldn't get people being so evangelical about fixed.

papercorn2000

Depends on what size gear you are using, how hilly it is etc. But as you say, once you get used to it, it becomes easier. Still harder than using gears.

bonj said:
mmm... course you were. You obviously knew i'd be reading this thread despite having made no posts in it thus far, and even in your quest to help someone out your thoughts turned to me. how touching. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: pull the other one

One or two others have started spelling pedal wrongly to annoy you, you just happened to notice mine first. Would you like some evidence of; (1) my ability to spell peddle correctly prior to your ripping the piss out of a beginner (2) other quite good spellers who have taken to spelling pedal wrongly to annoy you? Or would you like to give up before you embarrass yourself any further.

bonj2

mickle said:
One or two others have started spelling pedal wrongly to annoy you, you just happened to notice mine first. Would you like some evidence of; (1) my ability to spell peddle correctly prior to your ripping the piss out of a beginner (2) other quite good spellers who have taken to spelling pedal wrongly to annoy you? Or would you like to give up before you embarrass yourself any further.

go on keep on denying it, i might be slightly more inclined to believe you. Not that much more likely mind.

Pete

BentMikey said:
Pete, since you haven't tried it, I reckon you shouldn't be knocking fixed. I'm not being precious, but there must be at least a couple reasons it's so good, else you wouldn't get people being so evangelical about fixed.
No 'knocking' here, but it's still a minority interest. Maybe fixed wheel enthusiasts tend to dominate some internet forums, maybe that's it (one of the reasons that I have no particular wish to enter into re-negotiations with ACF), but on the road, outside London, I see hardly any. Anyway, not being a participant myself doesn't bar me from commenting. I don't play the violin, but I'm perfectly capable of commenting on or criticising other people's violin playing, am I not?

bonj2

Pete said:
No 'knocking' here, but it's still a minority interest. Maybe fixed wheel enthusiasts tend to dominate some internet forums, maybe that's it (one of the reasons that I have no particular wish to enter into re-negotiations with ACF), but on the road, outside London, I see hardly any. Anyway, not being a participant myself doesn't bar me from commenting. I don't play the violin, but I'm perfectly capable of commenting on or criticising other people's violin playing, am I not?

...or saying you don't like the sound of the violin full stop.

SamNichols

Pete said:

You see them in all cities - there are loads around here (Manchester). I think that part of their popularity in the city may be the fact that the opportunist thief will get a big surprise if they try to nick it.

I'm thinking of getting into track cycling at the moment, so who knows? At the moment I don't really see the point, except of course you'll look cooler in Shoreditch. That's pretty much my reason for living, looking cool in Shoreditch :rolleyes:

SamNichols said:
You see them in all cities - there are loads around here (Manchester). I think that part of their popularity in the city may be the fact that the opportunist thief will get a big surprise if they try to nick it.

I'm thinking of getting into track cycling at the moment, so who knows? At the moment I don't really see the point, except of course you'll look cooler in Shoreditch. That's pretty much my reason for living, looking cool in Shoreditch :rolleyes:

...or look cool in a ditch full stop! I was behind a chap this morning - skidding, jumping, juddering...maybe that's technique but it looked a bit odd. Fixed wheel is synonymous with 'RLJ' is it not?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Commenting would be fine, but you're drawing conclusions having never used one.

On the ACF thing, I'm with you there, but that's a human thing, not a fixed thing.

Top Bottom