Should I get a road bike or gravel bike instead of a mountain bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

I am 47 recovering from a running injury which is nearly fixed. I moved to the bike because of being heavier. Coming back to riding I find I enjoy it a lot more than running. But the runner in me wants to do everything quicker. Which I am trying to let go of. Thanks again for all the information.

Beware if you go back to running. Cycling is shocking for tightening hamstrings!!!

battered

Guru
There's nothing wrong with a 90s rigid mtb turned into a touring road bike. I have one such, it's great. It has flat bars and bar ends, I find it more comfortable than my road bike. Not significantly slower, with slicks.

There's nothing wrong with a 90s rigid mtb turned into a touring road bike. I have one such, it's great. It has flat bars and bar ends, I find it more comfortable than my road bike. Not significantly slower, with slicks.

I've actually done the same - put touring gearing on a late 90s Raleigh rigid MTB, spread the rear triangle to go from 5 sprockets to 8, upgraded the wheelset and stuck semi-slick commuter tyres with added puncture protection on (Schwalbe Road Cruiser Plus).

Not as fast as my road bike (it's about 4 kilos more lardy for starters!) or my hybrid, but it's great for tracks and trails, gentle bimbling and bad weather.

Will add that I am the cyclist that just about everyone overtakes. :laugh: For me, it's not about speed (I tend to bimble at around 10 mph) but just about being out there and enjoying a nice ride.

NellyNoMates

I'm following the discussion with interest as I'm in a similar position, having a mountain bike and everyone around me in Suffolk seems to have road or gravel bike and is flying past me. However I find it really hard to discern the type of surface I'm going to find, from planning on Komoot or OS maps. I often find myself on a 'lane' which is actually a knobbly muddy track alongside a field. Restricted bridleways turn out to be little more than an overgrown single track. So far, I'm keeping the mountain bike for that reason. And I figure that I'm getting fitter by cycling that bit harder ;-)

vickster

Legendary Member
You could always add more road friendly tyres, you can still ride on rougher stuff. I rode down a very gravelly path this morning on 28mm almost slick tyres. I just took it slowly and carefully!

Jody

Stubborn git
@NellyNoMates I missed Ming's earlier comment at the time but this sums up why I contemplated a gravel bike and why I ended up building a hardtail. To me it's more about the time spent on my bike than the miles covered.

Be aware, no matter what bike you get, riders will always be flying by. There are some very fast / fit riders out there. Once you decouple your riding enjoyment from your speed and that of others, you’ll enter that joyous flow that cycling brings.

Last edited:
No doubt we all have a preference, for me it is Schwalbe, and on my Gravel Genesis, I now have Range Cruisers, At Wiggle, for £8! which have some ‘K’ guard protection, quite smooth road running, and decen enough for gravel/single track.
The supposed WTB Riddlers were thinner on the tread and sidewall, and knobblier, but as most of my off-road is compacted surface, we’re a little too knurled for me needs.
I have no complaints about the Schwalbe Range Cruisers, but no doubt other tyres may suit your needs better.

NellyNoMates

No doubt we all have a preference, for me it is Schwalbe, and on my Gravel Genesis, I now have Range Cruisers, At Wiggle, for £8! which have some ‘K’ guard protection, quite smooth road running, and decen enough for gravel/single track.
The supposed WTB Riddlers were thinner on the tread and sidewall, and knobblier, but as most of my off-road is compacted surface, we’re a little too knurled for me needs.
I have no complaints about the Schwalbe Range Cruisers, but no doubt other tyres may suit your needs better.
No longer available says the website :-(

No longer available says the website :-(
Velo Zone at £20?

Top Bottom