Should I get a second bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mralexrides

I started cycling last year (aged 54). The year before last, I covered 30 miles. Since starting properly in May 2020, I managed in excess of 3,000 miles in the 12 months that followed.

I use my new bike (Scott Scale 980) for commuting and exercise, mostly on roads and gravel, but with a little bit of trail riding. I'm not into serious mountain biking.

I'm wondering if I should be looking to treat myself to a second bike, one which is more suited to my usual use. I love my new bike and it is so much better than the older one I have had for about 25 years, but just wondering if I should have a second option.

If so, what should I be looking at? I would baulk at spending in excess of £1k on a bike.

If you buy on Ebay find out exact model before you buy :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Seven years ago, I asked a cycling friend if I should get a second bike. He looked at me incredulously........"Are you some kind of monk or something?????"

Lovacott

Über Member
Yeah, followed the other thread with interest. I avoided the second-hand route as I have no idea what I am looking at and what parts may be worn etc. Have gone with a trusted LBS in Glasgow. I would like to increase my knowledge of what is what with a bike, though, so I can do simple repairs myself.
Let's face reality here. New is what we always want when we buy anything and we'll only consider others cast offs if they are an absolute bargain or there is no other alternative. Nobody will buy second hand to save five or ten percent off retail.

That said, I'm going to be making a point of picking up a used bike this winter when demand is lower and buyers of a new bike this summer are having a few regrets or are a bit tight for cash. I'm aiming to get a decent quality/ hardly used bike for my Uni bound son to use for the short hops between his digs and campus once he moves out of on campus halls next year. I won't pay more than 50% of current retail price though.

Top Bottom