Should I get a second bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Scotty55

(soon to be replaced with the Little England Euro-free Velocipeed Ownership Facts and Figures (L.E.E.V.O.F.F.)).

Don't tell Wee Kranky or she'll be banging on about independence again. Like she ever stops.....

Better to use the Full United Kingdom Ownership Facts and Figures (F.U.K.O.F.F.) measure. I'm looking forward to pointing people towards the index when they ask how far I've ridden.

Dwn

This whole question of want versus need is so fundamental to our entire civilisation. I say, go for it. If we had stuck to acquiring what we needed rather than what we wanted then we would all still be living in caves. Buy that second bike and play your part in the long arc of human development.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My reluctance to consider secondhand is that my maintenance skills are extremely rudimentary and I really would have no idea if what I was looking at was OK or a disaster-in-waiting.

Don't assume that a new bike will be any more roadworthy than an old one pulled out of a skip. I've seen plenty of brand new ones with the forks facing the wrong way, nuts not properly tightened, brakes & gears maladjusted and barely working.
I work on the basis that every bike I get my hands on has probably got something wrong with it and I assume nothing is OK until I've confirmed its OK. Regardless whether you buy new or used bikes I suggest you take nothing for granted and check everything.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
He’s spending 1k not buying a BSO from Argos though so presumably using a decent LBS with competent mechanics

Makes no difference what the price is. Retailers often ship out new goods without bothering to check them over properly, especially if they're busy or short- handed.
Happens with all sorts of stuff, including expensive high end cars never mind bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Never had an issue myself :okay: so I can only go on that :okay:

Mmmm, well I currently have three rideable bikes and two in bits. :blush:

Of the rideable ones, they are all different - road bike, hybrid and a vintage rigid MTB that's had a massive upgrade on drivetrain and wheels. And I use them for different things and I love them all equally.

OK, yes, there is some overlap - they are bicycles after all, but I wouldn't want to ride farm trails and bridleways on the roadie or do a cycling away day on the MTB. They would do it, just not very well. Having said that, my hybrid is my go-to bike for a lot of things as it is comfortable, is set up for luggage, has mudguards and disc brakes and such gubbins.

Of the two that are in bits, they're sort of nostalgia. One is the mid-80s rigid MTB of no great quality that I rode for many years - was bought for me by my dad who thought I would grow into it, but I never did, and it's always been a bit too big. As a result, I didn't really like it that much. The other is a junior roadster style bike that was a skip rescue and that I rode for a while in my early teens. Other than that, I grew up riding a plethora of rescues and hand-me-downs including shoppers and a french steel single speed that I still regret moving on. hey ho.

When I got back into cycling, I went with my heart and bought the roadie, and have since added the other two as I've seen the need for something else. Right now, I'm unlikely to add anything to my little fleet, but in the future, who knows? :blush:

Punkawallah

Über Member
Thoroughly brilliant. I await the sub forum.
New thread please, with a proper spreadsheet, so you can start harvesting data. We need graphs, some geeks to sift the data, and probably a website, with a Kickstarter fund so people can donate to help those with index problems, or to help riders improve or worsen their index.
id be happy to work pro bono in a corner, helping hopeful monogamists pair up with all-road loves. A kind of matchmaking service, with a help desk and 24 hr call-back, if you’re ever thinking of straying or you ever Google the words Ribble or Decathlon.
Just let me know and I’ll fetch my diary 😀

Have you not seen the 'My Single Pedal' Face Page site? :-)

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Absolutely yes! I'd recommend something more road oriented, say a hybrid, or comfort based road bike. Don't dismiss second hand either, there are some real bargains that have been used twice and put in a shed for 2 years.
I have to agree. Right at the beginning of the pandemic here in the US, I bought a $1200 2009 hybrid for only $350. It had been beautifully maintained for 13 years by its second owner. The same secondhand bike now goes for about $500. Still a far cry from $1200. I got top of the line components on a nice light bike for only $350. You have nothing to lose by checking out 2nd hand bikes. It is worth at least looking at what is out there. The hardest part is being patient.

battered

Guru
I have to agree. Right at the beginning of the pandemic here in the US, I bought a $1200 2009 hybrid for only $350. It had been beautifully maintained for 13 years by its second owner. The same secondhand bike now goes for about $500. Still a far cry from $1200. I got top of the line components on a nice light bike for only $350. You have nothing to lose by checking out 2nd hand bikes. It is worth at least looking at what is out there. The hardest part is being patient.
The hardest part around here is avoiding the scratters selling bikes that are nothing like what they advertise and probably stolen to boot. Scum.

OP
OP
S

Scotty55

Unfortunately, as I was on a temporary contract, I don’t qualify for the C2W scheme. And now that I am on a permanent contract, the scheme is closed until September.

so - I am getting the new bike tomorrow. I used manmaths to persuade SWMBO that it is all doable (it actually is) and I’ll use the shop’s interest free credit to smooth it out.

I am quite excited - we are going on holiday on Saturday so the new bike is coming along. 😀

Top Bottom