Should I get a second bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Scotty55

Oh, I meant to add, don’t ignore second hand. Of the 9 bikes currently in our household only one was bought new.
Thanks. I'm nervous about second-hand as I've got no idea where to start and what to do if something goes wrong.

Lee_M

Guru
No such thing as a second bike, it's called your next bike. That way it confuses the other half when you buy your next bike and your next after that etc

simongt

Guru
As has been alluded to by the posts on this thread, 'shoud I treat myself to a second bike - ?' is a no brainer, of course - ! The second bike will be used more than you think at present and there's always the advantage of if one bike is suddenly out of action, you still have the other to use. I'm 68 and presently have a mere three, :okay: and the GLW has five - ! She's er, younger than me - ! :rofl:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Compatability - ? We have GT, Dawes, Brompton, Bianchi, British Eagle and Pinnacle in our 'stable' - ! ^_^
We have 9 bikes and across those there are 7 different, incompatible tyre and inner tube sizes! At least three of them are Shimano (1/2/3x)10 speed and two are 3x7-speed, so some areas of commonality.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Absolutely yes! I'd recommend something more road oriented, say a hybrid, or comfort based road bike. Don't dismiss second hand either, there are some real bargains that have been used twice and put in a shed for 2 years.
Not really at the moment, second-hand prices for bikes are nearly as much as new ones.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes. I have three bikes - Cervelo C3 for summer, Kinesis Tripster for winter/gravel/touring and a Cannondale CAAD 10 as emergency road bike.

Don't worry about compatibility. Spec your bike for it's specific purpose otherwise you'll end up with a compromise which is never a good thing.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You're asking on a cyclign forum whether you should have an additional bike :wacko:

I know, it's a bizarre question isn't it. Have as many bikes as you want, preferably all secondhand ones so the amount of money tied up in them doesn't get stupid.
Although a steel touring bike or decent flat bar hybrid can make very practical all-rounders, if you've got enough room to keep more then it makes pefect sense to have multiple bikes for multiple purposes. I will never leave anything half-decent unattended anywhere remotely dodgy, which means I have to have a worthless hack bike as a utility runabout, regardless of what else I own. My hacks are my most essential bikes in one sense, because they save the more decent ones from being used/left in risky situations.

Brooks

I recently bought a second hand steel tourer which rides like a dream. My old bike is now used as the utility bike for shopping trips etc, in fact I don't mind locking it up at the station at all. When it was my only bike I was much more cautious. There's a lot of positives in having runabout bike that I wasn't really aware of before.

to get good at the "additional bike" game you need to grow children that have the same frame size requirements as you, then it's just a case of recycling bikes through the family system:laugh:

I just need to convince No2 daughter that she really needs a new CX bike:laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
to get good at the "additional bike" game you need to grow children that have the same frame size requirements as you, then it's just a case of recycling bikes through the family system:laugh:

I just need to convince No2 daughter that she really needs a new CX bike:laugh:
Or just have no children at all, leading to loads of disposable income to buy stuff for self ;) rather than wasting thousands bringing up hangers on :whistle:

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
As MrsP often says why do you need three bikes you can only ride one at once.There speaks someone who can’t even ride a bike.
Mrs JK never questions how many bikes I have , she has said I will have to budget for another shed or storage if / WHEN I buy another bike . Mrs JK‘s sister has questioned the number of bikes I own ( what’s it got to do with her) I reply, how many pairs of shoes do you own , you can only wear one pair at a time.

Top Bottom