Should I get new tyres or buy a different bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't know how heavy you are, but you may get less punctures if you run at lower pressure.

OP
OP
Carolineb

Carolineb

Regular
I have a fully mudguarded hybrid that was my main use bike until recently.

I'd bought a mountain bike and discovered that he gears were much better for climbing the hll that I live at the top of, so started using that as my main bike. It didn't have mudguards and I found it really unpleasant in wet weather! I've just had some put on and its so much better! I definitely recomend them - in my view the weather in the UK warrants them even in summer.

I will try some mud guards then - i agree it is unpleasant getting splattered all up my back! Thanks!

OP
OP
Carolineb

Carolineb

Regular
Don't know how heavy you are, but you may get less punctures if you run at lower pressure.

Ok so that's throwing a new quandary into the ring!
Right so it's not necessarily the best thing to have tyres pumped up to max psi? I was told to keep them as inflated as poss as it would reduce punctures and increase speed. To be honest I don't get many - I've had three in 2000 miles and I always just replace the inner tube each time. But all three punctures were caused by hawthorns!
But I didn't know that my body weight should be taken into account when deciding on best psi.

I was told to keep them as inflated as poss as it would reduce punctures and increase speed.

it won't do either unfortunately. In fact, it's possible that the exact opposite may be the case.

But I didn't know that my body weight should be taken into account when deciding on best psi.

Optimum tyre pressure for every rider is a compromise between tyre width, rider weight, road condition and the type of riding you do.

jim55

Guru
Slick tyres on f1 and motorbikes have NO tread at all , the tread is for clearing water ( used to race ( the post about invisible ? Tread is wrong
Pump up yr tyres to what u feel is appropriate and gives the best ride ( within reason , about 100 , psi works for me)(a high pressure - blown up well- reduces pinch punctures and reduces rolling resistance so no 60 psi or anything like that ( depends on the tire fitted , but for a wee bit of comfort I'd say a wee bit less than the stated max ( 10-20 psi less at most), I'd say try various pressures and see/feel the effect it has , but as a gen rule , if your frame and forks have the clearance wider tyres are gen slightly more comfy ( I prefer 28mm on my fixed gear , my road bike doesn't have clearance so it has 23mm on it and u can feel the diff

OP
OP
Carolineb

Carolineb

Regular
it won't do either unfortunately. In fact, it's possible that the exact opposite may be the case.

Optimum tyre pressure for every rider is a compromise between tyre width, rider weight, road condition and the type of riding you do.

Ok thanks. So how do I find out what the best tyre pressure is for me and my bike?

jim55

Guru
Inflate to max stated and try it , just let a bit of air out if you want it a bit lower

OP
OP
Carolineb

Carolineb

Regular
Pump up yr tyres to what u feel is appropriate and gives the best ride ( within reason , about 100 , psi works for me)(a high pressure - blown up well- reduces pinch punctures and reduces rolling resistance so no 60 psi or anything like that ( depends on the tire fitted , but for a wee bit of comfort I'd say a wee bit less than the stated max ( 10-20 psi less at most), I'd say try various pressures and see/feel the effect it has , but as a gen rule , if your frame and forks have the clearance wider tyres are gen slightly more comfy ( I prefer 28mm on my fixed gear , my road bike doesn't have clearance so it has 23mm on it and u can feel the diff

I'll try it out and see! I'll take it to the bike shop and see what the widest tyre is i can fit on my bike.
Thanks

lulubel

Über Member
You might also find that running your tyres a bit softer will help with grip in the wet.

If you've got them pumped up very hard at the moment, you'll be sliding around with just a tiny bit of tyre in contact with the road. Less pressure - maybe 10-20 psi less - will allow the tyre to compress very slightly where it makes contact with the road, meaning more rubber is in contact with the road surface, giving you better grip.

OP
OP
Carolineb

Carolineb

Regular
You might also find that running your tyres a bit softer will help with grip in the wet.

If you've got them pumped up very hard at the moment, you'll be sliding around with just a tiny bit of tyre in contact with the road. Less pressure - maybe 10-20 psi less - will allow the tyre to compress very slightly where it makes contact with the road, meaning more rubber is in contact with the road surface, giving you better grip.

That makes sense! Thanks

Christopher

Über Member
re the mudguards I would recommend getting them at a LBS & having the shop fit them as they can be fiddly to fit. A good LBS would also advise you on max tyre size - probably 25mm for your frame.

Cyclist33

I am 11 stone ish and find anything over 110 on the back and the wheel bounces rather than rolls. It's a known scenario. If you're not heavy enough to plant the tyre, you actually lose efficiency and grip.

I always run lower pressure at the front coz you don't need it, you get more grip and less vibration in your hands.

Stu

Top Bottom