Should I get new tyres or buy a different bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Carolineb

Carolineb

Regular
I am 11 stone ish and find anything over 110 on the back and the wheel bounces rather than rolls. It's a known scenario. If you're not heavy enough to plant the tyre, you actually lose efficiency and grip.

I always run lower pressure at the front coz you don't need it, you get more grip and less vibration in your hands.

Stu

Cool - it does all make sense what people have been saying. It never even occurred to me to reduce the pressure in my tyres. I just blindly followed someone's advice about keeping them at max psi and religiously pumped them up before every journey!
Thanks!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know how heavy you are, but you may get less punctures if you run at lower pressure.

How do you make that out?

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
For crud road racer mudguards check out the 'found a bargain' thread on this forum. Someone has posted a discount code to get the mudguards for £18.99 delivered (plus cashback on top) from Evans Cycles.

The guards normally retail at £29.99 so a cheeky bargain!

Bengarbage

I just bought a spesh sirrus as my winter hack ..... You know you need one!
haha did your boy nick it then? the triban i mean

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think there's also a certain technique for control in the wet, especially as leaves and ice becomes a possibility.

I've only really been riding properly for 2 years and with much wider tyres, but I notice being a fair weather cyclist too I pick up bad habits in the summer, for example braking heavily at the last minute, braking while turning and leaning/cornering too quickly. Then when winter comes I have to make a real conscious effort to slow down more gently, corner slower and watch out for slippy things like drain covers, road markings, mud, leaves etc. Also, things like applying brakes gently to "dry" them so they aren't utterly useless should you need to rely on them :smile: I'm sure the experienced guys can explain better though.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I must admit I am a fair weather cyclist - I know it's soft! But I have decided thanks to this forum that I am going to go out on my bike on a regular basis no matter what the weather!
I currently have a Tifosi road bike which I love and I feel great on it but it has no mud guards and very slick tyres. When it is wet (on the rare occasions I get caught in the rain) I don't feel too safe as there is no grip and of course I get covered in splashes all up my back and on my face!
I am just wondering whether to get new tyres put on that have more grip and maybe add some mud guards If so what are the best kind of tyres to get? And should I attach mud guards or accept the splattering (as I don't think there is enough space on my bike for them).
Or should I splash out and get myself a hybrid or something that is more practical and that I can put panniers on and a big fat front lamp and then just concentrate on getting out rather than trying to increase my speed?
Any advice would be welcome.

My approach would be get new tyres, fit new mudguards......then buy another bike! (Hence I have 4) :smile:

Top Bottom