Should I get some euros before the referendum?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Are you in politics? you appear very adapt at not answering questions with nothing but a question, rather than actually answering & then trying to manipulate the outcome so that it looks like the person who asked the question has a question to answer, very well done.
It's a fair question. Someone asserts that something is the case. Someone else asks for evidence that what is claimed is actually the case.

Firestorm

Veteran
Re the jump in population.
The office for national statistics puts the year to mid 2014 increase at 0.77%, compared to the annual average over the previous 10 years of 0.75%
Almost half this growth was due to there being 50% more births (777k) than deaths (551k)
From 1972 to 2014 (43 years) the population has increased by 8.6m
That's 15% in 43 years hardly massive.
The average annual population growth between 1951 and 1971 was 0.5 %
During the insecure period I referred to in my previous post it dropped to 0.1%
The birth rate in 2014 is the same as the annual average since 2004 077k vs 778k
Immigration in 2014 was less 583k vs 608 average
The death rate was below the 10 year average 551 vs 568
Emigration was down 583 compared to 608
Broadly speaking in 2014 less died, more stayed here , slightly fewer came here and the same amount were born.
In
1960 the death rate was 1.15%
By 2014 it was 0.88%
The increase in the elderly population is one of the issues putting pressure on the NHS.

The world population is growing. It's what humans do. If population growth was due to immigration alone then yuo would expect a flat growth in population across the globe as it;s simply a case of transferring location.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Shagging?

I'm trying to find out what @Accy cyclist is referring to - as he isn't very clear in his posts. He's making statements/assertions and I'm asking for some clarity/evidence.

It's called having a debate... if you have a problem with that then you're in the wrong place.

Here you are. I've even given a link to a lefty paper so you can't claim right wing bias.

UK population at record high, with net migration the biggest driver
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rd-high-with-net-migration-the-biggest-driver

srw

Re the jump in population.
The office for national statistics puts the year to mid 2014 increase at 0.77%, compared to the annual average over the previous 10 years of 0.75%
Bingo!

Yes, I had a suspicion someone would pull out and misrepresent that stat. In statistical reality, 0.77% is the same number as 0.75% within the margins of error of estimating the difference between two very large estimated numbers.

srw

sight-pin

Veteran

Firestorm

Veteran
Bingo!

Yes, I had a suspicion someone would pull out and misrepresent that stat. In statistical reality, 0.77% is the same number as 0.75% within the margins of error of estimating the difference between two very large estimated numbers.
I was quoting the figures to show that there was no massive jump in the population. Even ignoring margins of error 0.02% cant be considered massive.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
:popcorn: Anyone actually remember the original question? Speaking as a regular Channel hopper, I can understand the OP's concerns. Knowing that we will be going over there regularly, my wife and I regularly buy holiday money whenever the rate has improved slightly (as it has by a few cents recently). In the end, some you win and some you lose .... but whatever happens to the rate in future, you at least know you can afford your next holiday. What we don't spend, we just keep in a tin and use next time. We are off to Holland soon after the referendum and, because we got our Euros a few weeks ago, we know we can afford our petrol and our meals out, and we know the maximum amount we will be shelling out for them. Markets hate uncertainty and, yes, I do think the exchange rate will take a big nose dive in the short term if we vote to leave. Personally, I would buy at least some of your holiday Euros now. to hedge your bets.

classic33

Leg End Member
:popcorn: Anyone actually remember the original question? Speaking as a regular Channel hopper, I can understand the OP's concerns. Knowing that we will be going over there regularly, my wife and I regularly buy holiday money whenever the rate has improved slightly (as it has by a few cents recently). In the end, some you win and some you lose .... but whatever happens to the rate in future, you at least know you can afford your next holiday. What we don't spend, we just keep in a tin and use next time. We are off to Holland soon after the referendum and, because we got our Euros a few weeks ago, we know we can afford our petrol and our meals out, and we know the maximum amount we will be shelling out for them. Markets hate uncertainty and, yes, I do think the exchange rate will take a big nose dive in the short term if we vote to leave. Personally, I would buy at least some of your holiday Euros now. to hedge your bets.
Wednesday, not a good day to get them. Rate drops slightly from mid afternoon onwards.

Top Bottom