Should I go recumbent???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
It's getting to the point where I could financially justify getting another addition to the stable, but on c2w this time.

Don't get me wrong, I love my df bikes, but I am feeling tempted to get a 'bent trike, just need some excuses to buy one from other people advice from other riders.

Should I? Will my other bikes run away in disgust?

Looking at the kmx venom, does anyone have any experience with it?

ScotiaLass

Guru
No advice but I say, do what makes you happy! :smile:

At this time of year you don't fall off if you hit black ice - therefore a vital piece of safety equipment!!!!!!!

More seriously...

A recumbent trike is a completely different beast and a wonderful machine to ride, but is not perfect

Getting on or off means low level moves that some people find difficult for instance.

You really need to ride a couple before deciding

The KMX is a nice machine, but is in my opinion a little "agricultural" for the money

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

More seriously...

A recumbent trike is a completely different beast and a wonderful machine to ride, but is not perfect

Getting on or off means low level moves that some people find difficult for instance.

You really need to ride a couple before deciding

The KMX is a nice machine, but is in my opinion a little "agricultural" for the money

You're right, I really do need to try some out. The main advantage of the kmx was the c2w option, I can't find any other retailers selling recumbents on the scheme.

How do you mean agricultural??!! I suppose if I can pull a plough with it there is a viable income stream to fund repayment....

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
It's getting to the point where I could financially justify getting another addition to the stable, but on c2w this time.

Don't get me wrong, I love my df bikes, but I am feeling tempted to get a 'bent trike, just need some excuses to buy one from other people advice from other riders.

Should I? Will my other bikes run away in disgust?

Looking at the kmx venom, does anyone have any experience with it?

I don't think any member on here would try and talk you out of getting a trike (or any other 'bent.) I started off with 2 wheelers-my very first being a racey Bacchetta Strada, then I bought my first trike, and Ice Trice 'S'. After riding the Strada, the Ice was undoubtedly slower (and way heavier) but there was something even more special about riding a trike. You seem to be riding within a trike, instead of on top of a 2 wheeler. That said, I did try another 2 wheeler, an Optima Baron before realising that what I really needed was a trike, but something a bit faster. I now own a Catrike 700 'R', which is fast, (reasonably) comfortable, and after having her for a year still gives me a big grin. I think that if you went for the Venom, you will probably enjoy it (as I did on the Trice) but maybe you'll be wanting to upgrade quite quickly?

A lot depends on the type or riding you'll be doing. I commute daily 25 miles and the Catrike stands up well to year round riding, (though some may be wanting a little more comfort, I feel that the top speed outweighs the bumps) If you're only going for weekend blasts you definitely need a sportier trike. If your just popping into town, or family rides, then the KMX may well suit your needs.

A word of warning though. If you do drop on your 'ideal' trike, your dfs won't get a look in. I only ride my road bike or mountain bike when I go out with the kids now. I certainly wouldn't dream of going back to commuting on a df as I used to get so many near passes. On a 'bent you get a lot more respect! Another word of warning. I don't think there are many 'bent owner who buy just the one!

It's a pity you don't live nearby, you'd be most welcome to try out my trike (or 2 wheeler.)

Carl.

By "Agricultural" I mean more or less what GrasB said.
The design is led by the functionality rather than any aesthetic contribution

They are effective solid machines designed to take abuse

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Cheers for the advice above!

I think the kmx might be the wrong choice then right now, could be better off saving for an ice and waiting a little longer.
I think too much OCD tendency would kick in if it wasn't perfect lol!!

Think I would appreciate a faster trike.

starhawk

There was a shop here in town who offered free testrides on a KMX so I went there and had a look at it, and decided that a testride was not interesting any more, I went home to my Trice Q instead, my trike is modified to my liking and I "wouldn't sell it for all the butter i Småland" (swedish apophthegm)

byegad

Legendary Member
See my signature for my rides. I bought a Recumbent bike, an AZUB-4, in Autumn 2005 and my QNT some 18 months later. At the time of buying the AZUB I owned a small fleet of uprights from a Thorn Club Tour through a Mountain bike to several folders, all of which got used regularly. I found after buying the QNT that I was not riding the uprights very often, but intended to end up, after selling a few steeds, with the Thorn, my Dahon Speed Pro, the AZUB and QNT.

Fate, or rather a bout of vertigo, meant that my two wheelers would have to go so I started selling or giving them to members of the family and I bought the Kettwiesel, to give me two rides. Later I felt the need for a lighter trike and bought the Trail, re-gearing it for properly steep hills at point of purchase. So now my three trikes are all I own and ride. They are very different and while any one will do everything I want in terns of riding, each one has its own strong points. The Kett' is great in town, the QNT is good for all day and the Trail makes even me climb better. I would still have one upright bike if I could but I doubt it would do many miles a year.

GrasB

Veteran
Well the ICE VTX is pretty fast.
Aerodynamically it'll be up there with the more aerodynamically positioned touring rider on the hoods. Their rolling resistance is going to challenge a hard-tail hybrid on slicks. Add in the weight of them & yes, that makes it rapid for a leisure bike but compared to a decent road bike that's been tuned for performance it's hardly fast.

And not all velomobiles are fast - I don't think mine is that quick (or certainly not with me in it!)
Not all are fast, but in terms of aero a Quest, Evo-K, etc. are so far ahead of a well setup TT bike that the rolling resistance & weight penalty are fairly inconsequential.

Top Bottom