Should I go recumbent???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanT82

Aerodynamically it'll be up there with the more aerodynamically positioned touring rider on the hoods. Their rolling resistance is going to challenge a hard-tail hybrid on slicks. Add in the weight of them & yes, that makes it rapid for a leisure bike but compared to a decent road bike that's been tuned for performance it's hardly fast.
I agree. If you're coming from a world of quick road bikes then a trike, even a VTX or Catrike 700, is going to be slower. If speed is the main aim and a velomobile is out of the question then you need to stick to 2 wheels. If you can overlook the performance then a recumbent trike has lots to offer: safety on slippery roads, stability in strong crosswinds, no need to find a wall to lean it against when you stop, things like that.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Before you buy go and try.

You also need to think about storage space, where are you going to put it. A trike takes up a lot of space. If you want to take it somewhere to ride you need to find away to transport it.

I have had an Ice trike and a Bacchette Giro bike. Both wonderfully made and good fun but I preferred my DFs to either of them. Recumbents are not for everyone, even if they look as though they are.

You need to borrow one for a few days and see how you get on.

Steve

GrasB

Veteran
You also need to think about storage space, where are you going to put it. A trike takes up a lot of space. If you want to take it somewhere to ride you need to find away to transport it.
It's easy enough to transport a trike on the roof rack of a normal car (see avatar for example of a non-normal car ;)). Trikes don't take up too much space if stored on their side though I'd make sure the rear stays rather than the wheel are supporting the side load at the back else you'll warp your rear wheel if it's stored for a long time.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Thats exactly what I did GrasB but it is still not like transporting or storing a DF. There are good and bad things about a recumbent, but a lot of thought is needed before buying one.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Do you want to be that close to the road?
He may well want that extra level of safety - I know how much I appreciate it!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
My advice is test-ride everything you can lay your hands on. If Norfolk is do-able, DTek have a large selection and you can test-ride all of them for something like £40, refundable against a purchase. That's what I did and ended up with the TRICE Q, today's version of which is the ICE Sprint.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
A word of warning though. If you do drop on your 'ideal' trike, your dfs won't get a look in. I only ride my road bike or mountain bike when I go out with the kids now. I certainly wouldn't dream of going back to commuting on a df as I used to get so many near passes. On a 'bent you get a lot more respect! Another word of warning. I don't think there are many 'bent owner who buy just the one!
OK, I'm stumped! What is this 'dfs' acronym?

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Don't know about kmx, but I do have a short wheel base Vision VR40 with over seat steering. Recumbents in some ways can differ so much, it really is the case of doing your research and finding out what you want out of one. In a nutshell:

Pros
-fun. Fun. Fun. Street luge. Did I mention it's fun? Go round a corner on one!
-easy on the back -you can do miles on one
-unique, and that translates in my experience to being more noticed in traffic than a df. I think most people who criticize recumbents for being low down and not being seen simply haven't ridden one.
-something different (it can be tempting to grow a beard and wear sandals)
-fast downhills and on flats, you have a lower aerodynamic profile.
-no or little weight on your hands and stress on your back
-closer to the road, less distance to fall

Cons
-poor value compared to dfs. In terms of being mass produced and enjoying lower unit costs, recumbents aren't. You won't find a similarly specced recumbent and df at the same price.
-usually heavier because of the previous point
-if you want to transport your bike, think again. Transporting a recumbent because of their length or size can make this more of a challenge.
-you can suffer from a sore bum and back on a df, and you can potentially get numb toes or "hot feet".
-certain recumbent designs are more unstable (think short wheelbase). Not a problem if you have a trike or a longer wheelbase.
-parts such as seats can be expensive or hard to find.
-can be tough for balance in trafficky areas (again depends on the design) where you are constantly stopping and starting.
-can't stand on the pedals. You use a slightly different set of muscles and reel yourself up hills -traditionally you will be slower on a recumbent going up a hill. Of course that only really matters if you are racing!

I'm sure I've missed some points -but that's what I came up straight away. Really, I'd say test ride whenever and whereever possible. The problem is that with so few around, it's very hard to, and even if you can try one for a few days, it's so different from a df, you may not appreciate all the good or bad points. And as Steve pointed out, not everyone is suited to them as well. Good luck!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
An addition to @Nigeyy 's post - the balance on a 'bent is very different from on a df/upwrong ;). As a result, it can take a wee while to get familiar with riding a 'bent, so allow lots of time for test riders ! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom