Should I instal Ubuntu?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Hmmm....as per with me 'n technology, one step forward two steps back...

Boot up takes nine mins. Worse still, the card's given up. Or that's to say, when it does finally boot up it has 'no network', and when I right-click and slide down to the 'enable wireless' option, nothing happens. Nothing. The box goes away, but nothing happens. I can go back and right-click again, and once again it offers 'enable wireless', but selecting it achieves nothing. *sigh*

I'm back in Windows (35 secs to boot) and I think that's enough IT-fettling for one night. This isn't where I live, and it does me head in. Ah well, I did get online. It's a start...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If you are booting from the CD, then you are setting up the OS from scratch each time, once it is set up on the HD it will be a lot faster.

redjedi

Über Member
If you're still running off the CD then all your settings and drivers will be lost if you shut down (I think).

If you've had it working and the card's working with WinME, then a full install should have you up and running again. You'll probably need to plug into the router again when you do the first install.

I've been using Ubuntu for a couple of years and like it very much. Only thing it can't do is play games, and I have a PS3 for that.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
redjedi said:
If you're still running off the CD then all your settings and drivers will be lost if you shut down (I think).

Correct, until you install on the HD, you are setting up from fresh every time you run from the CD.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks. Don't suppose you've any idea why it couldn't get the card fired up? I was a bit surprised when it started up so easily the first time...

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks Dave. I've always rather shied away from those proper geek forums, for fear of techy-talk, but I'll go and check it out.

Top Bottom