Should I join a club? Which one? (MCR)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lanternerouge

Veteran
Hi all

I have been getting more into my cycling over the last couple of years. I did the C2C with my work colleagues and when I can motivate myself I really enjoy going on longer rides.

I think I would like to join a club and maybe this would help me be more consistent in my quest to lose weight and get fitter.

I suppose the drawbacks I can see are the following:

1) Would I be fit enough? Wouldn't want to embarrass myself :sad:
2) Can't really afford to buy a road bike at the moment - could I get by on my hybrid Scott Sportster?
3) Don't want to spend all day out - so I suppose shorter rides would suit more
4) Is there a suitable and most of all FRIENDLY club near me?

I suppose I want the moon on a stick really! Something to push me a bit but not something that is at a level way too high for me.

So, has anyone any recommendations? MCR based CCers?

Most clubs are accommodating of beginners. For my club runs for over a year I only had a flat bar hybrid (Spesh Sirrus Sports) and coped. OK its not as efficient as a road bike (especially in wind or downhill) but it held its own and was still good enough on the more advanced rides. What tyres have you got on the Scott ? IMO that's about the most important thing. I initially had 700x28c but changed them for 700x25c but tbh 23mm would be best IMO. Looking back I had initial reservations to you and it wasn't until I done a forum ride where the bike held its own with drop bar road bikes that I plucked up the courage; I wish I had done so earlier.
I've also found out that the clubs I have went to have done shorter Saturday Morning rides of about 38-45miles which are done by lunchtime.

I'm sure somebody will sort you out with a friendly club in the Stockport area.

Edit: I've just googled the Scott its a bit heavy so could be a struggle but lock out the suspension (or put lighter fixed forks on) and put narrower tyres on and it should be fine.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Manchester Wheelers is another option.

edit: I am now officially a member of the wheelers, but I've not been out on a ride with them yet, RedDragon (member here) convinced me to join :biggrin:

OP
OP
lanternerouge

lanternerouge

Veteran
Rob3rt said:
Manchester Wheelers is another option.

edit: I am now officially a member of the wheelers, but I've not been out on a ride with them yet, RedDragon (member here) convinced me to join :tongue:

Hmm are they not pretty mega-fit? Not sure I would keep up :biggrin:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
They have slow rides and stuff too, but yes they do have a lot of chain gangs and training rides, which is why I joined mainly. But they do cater for most people.

I dont know if I will keep up on a chain gang or training ride yet, but thats why I'll be going to an intro or shortish (30 mile) flat route once or twice and talking to the members to see where I best fit in. I just want to integrate with the club and get involved for the rest of this season, since a couple of accidents etc have pretty much written off any racing for me. Then through winter ill be turbo'ing damn hard and running a lot. Next season I'll be fast :tongue:

redddraggon

Blondie
lanternerouge said:
Hmm are they not pretty mega-fit? Not sure I would keep up :tongue:

It's a big club and getting bigger, so there's plenty of people of all different abilities. There's often slower and faster rides on. The next intro ride is on 11th July, which you should be able to manage, ~30miles and pretty slow. You should turn upto the intro ride, there's no compulsion to join the club, until you are sure the club is for you - so you could do a good few rides. You'd be surprised how much faster you go in a group.

There's also the CTC to consider, they've got a certain stereotype (old men with beards who do really slow and really short rides) but it's not always the case - each CTC region normally has more of a typical club run albeit a bit slower than you'd get with a "racing club". I know Merseyside and NWales/Chester regions have these sort of runs, but I'm sure about Manchester.

I'd recommend have a look at and a read through of the Mcr Wheelers site, the rides list will tell you what's coming up:

http://www.manchesterwheelers.co.uk/rides/list.htm

and the forum is normally a good read:

http://manchesterwheelers.co.uk/Forum/default.aspx

This might be 'too' easy (I'm not a member, but have heard of them)
http://www.sandbenders.demon.co.uk/cycling/chwan.htm

Top Bottom