Should I keep it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I don't want to get rid of, this is my husbands choice . He says it will be too hard for her to ride the trails we will be taking due to its weight. she was riding a mtb in the store today and liked it. This after I dismantled her bike to get new wheels, tyres and saddle for her.
That bike is lovely, take it off Ebay!
When (if ever) your daughter does not want it anymore let me try it first for size. I'm very small, have ridden teenage bikes before, and I'm in Glasgow :biggrin:

Keep the bike. Get another.

Job done.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Hi all

This is my daughters bike and she is refusing to upgrade to a new bike (her dad's choice). She's 14 but loves the style.

Should I pay to have it serviced or sell it? It's on ebay for now.

Hold on..... It has been put on Ebay against your Daughter's wishes?? Oh yeah, I can see that going well.
Of course, I don't know the full circumstances.

For the record, that is a gorgeous and probably rather collectable Peugeot 'mixte' frame (a Unisex frame (supposedly), characterised by the extra tubing to/from the downtube for extra frame rigidity in the absence of a cross bar, resulting in the three sets of tubes at the back instead of the usual two. Once you notice Mixtes', you can't 'unnotice' them. I am probably stating the obvious here about the frame though) which I am sure plenty of people would love! Those Peugeots are desirable machines and no new shiny thing will ever replace it's style and class, regardless of how superior they may be.
Where did it come from??

The Peugeot is to be got rid of just to go on trips to a trail somewhere?? I can see the point about the trails, I get it, a bike like that is wrong, but just sell it because of that?? I don't mean to be trite or anything, but has your Husband ever heard of OTHER types of cycling like.... Oh I don't know.... Road Cycling, simply travelling to places on the cycletrack or, perhaps, even, just pootling about for fun??

Of course, as I say, I don't know the circumstances, but could she have two bikes for now? I may be biased (I have a gorgeous Peugeot Racer from the mid '90s amongst others), but keep it until your daughter decides otherwise.

That bike is lovely, take it off Ebay!
When (if ever) your daughter does not want it anymore let me try it first for size. I'm very small, have ridden teenage bikes before, and I'm in Glasgow :biggrin:

HINT HINT!!

P.S. I have met Pat and can give a character reference!! :giggle:

Last edited:

sidevalve

Über Member
What sort of trails do you ride ?!! I take my old Dawes road bike all over on the local bridleways etc an have no problems at all [ok sometimes I have to go a tad slower than on an MTB but we arn't in a race]. No offence intended here but I would say back off and let her decide otherwise I see a lot of trouble ahead.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
What sort of trails do you ride ?!! I take my old Dawes road bike all over on the local bridleways etc an have no problems at all [ok sometimes I have to go a tad slower than on an MTB but we arn't in a race]. No offence intended here but I would say back off and let her decide otherwise I see a lot of trouble ahead.

Exactly, what trails are they??

OP
OP
afraser78

afraser78

Well its off ebay. I didn't realise just how good this bike is. I have told my daughter she can have new parts to make it better as I think most of the bike is still original lol. I won't be going on mtb trails as my youngest son is only 4. My husband road bikes alot and keeps going on about the weight thing of bikes and won't carry ours on his car so my wee Fiat 500 is gonna have to do some hard slogging with her bike and mine on it.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I love the old lights on the mudguards and the wingnuts on the wheels, that bike wasn't bought yesterday!

I will admit it is a bit old fashioned, but that is what makes it, and if she is happy with it then so be it. Incidentally, if any bits are got rid of, give us a shout!

Thanks,

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Well its off ebay. I didn't realise just how good this bike is. I have told my daughter she can have new parts to make it better as I think most of the bike is still original lol.

The retro features are what make it.

They are nice, well made, quality bikes and your Daughter is lucky to have it!
In the great scheme of bikes, they might not be the very best, but they are up there with the respected makes, and a bike like that is something to appreciate. You can't go much wrong with it!

My husband road bikes alot and keeps going on about the weight thing of bikes

Understandable, but weight isn't the be all and end all of everything. Each bike has its time and place, besides, unless it is high end Pro racing stuff, it is just as much down to the ability of the rider than anything else.

and won't carry ours on his car

What is the car made of, cardboard?? :giggle:

Seriously though, a bit of extra weight helps build the leg muscles up more!! :laugh:

so my wee Fiat 500 is gonna have to do some hard slogging with her bike and mine on it.

If I see a Fiat 500 with yours and your daughter's bike on, I'll give a wave (although, no, that wont work as you wont know who I am. I am in Dumbarton anyway)!!

Last edited:

Ganymede

Veteran
Just got to this thread and am really glad you're keeping the bike! I bet she needs that saddle adjusting upwards...

It's a lovely bike and if you can afford not to sell it I would keep it. If she goes to college that bike will be the envy of all! And what a great colour.

BTW - welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi all! :biggrin:
Guess who adopted the lovely French lady? :becool:
Nothing much wrong with her, needs some tlc, a project for the winter.
She is sooo elegant and light :wub:, can't fathom why Dad thinks it's a heavy bike.
Will post pictures of the before and after once I start.
True, that saddle is at the wrong angle, but you can feel it's going to be a comfy one, and I'm not one for wide saddles usually.
Thanks so much @afraser78's daughter for signing the adoption papers: she will have a good life with me ... both of us posing on shopping trips :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Hi all! :biggrin:
Guess who adopted the lovely French lady? :becool:
Nothing much wrong with her, needs some tlc, a project for the winter.
She is sooo elegant and light :wub:, can't fathom why Dad thinks it's a heavy bike.
Will post pictures of the before and after once I start.
True, that saddle is at the wrong angle, but you can feel it's going to be a comfy one, and I'm not one for wide saddles usually.
Thanks so much @afraser78's daughter for signing the adoption papers: she will have a good life with me ... both of us posing on shopping trips :laugh:
Bike Snatcher! Someone's pride and joy is now yours.

Top Bottom