Show us your Mixte

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Mixte 004.JPG
Here's my wife's posing machine. :girldance:
French built 'Olympique'.
Pretty, eh?

Yep, there's just something about the look of a mixte. :smile:
@User13710 you're quite right. My 1979 Puch Princess has had nearly as many lives as the proverbial cat. Here's the latest incarnation:
P1070165.JPG

And here's what she was just before this:
P1000523.JPG

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not my mixte, but I have been involved in its history. Back in about 1985, a friend of mine was bike shopping and I accompanied her in the role of cycling consultant. We went to a second hand bike place under Waterloo bridge near Charing Cross, next to which there used to be a great chippy, and came away with this Claud Butler Mixte.

Years pass. The bike moved from commuter to holiday runaround to sad neglect in a barn in France. The owner's husband and I have plans for a restoration sometime. Maybe this year. In the meantime, every time I see it I put a drop of oil on it here and there and pat it to remind it that it's not completely forgotten. It's stored in a dry place so no hurry.

claud.jpg

Last edited:

Jamieyorky

Veteran
Do love a mixte frame, built one for a customer as a single speed, fresh paint job, god i didnt to let it go. :blush:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not my mixte, but I have been involved in its history. Back in about 1985, a friend of mine was bike shopping and I accompanied her in the role of cycling consultant. We went to a second hand bike place under Waterloo bridge near Charing Cross, next to which there used to be a great chippy, and came away with this Claud Butler Mixte.

Years pass. The bike moved from commuter to holiday runaround to sad neglect in a barn in France. The owner's husband and I have plans for a restoration sometime. Maybe this year. In the meantime, every time I see it I put a drop of oil on it here and there and pat it to remind it that it's not completely forgotten. It's stored in a dry place so no hurry.

View attachment 73491
And here it is again after a bit of TLC. The Claud Butler Majestique.

full.jpg

I stripped it right down, cleaned it up, disassembled, cleaned and re-greased all of the bearings. Replaced inner and outer cables, chain and saddle. Retaped bars. The gears were Suntour and they were a cut above the Sachs Huret ones that I'm used to from that vintage. Felt much nicer. The front mech was missing so I replaced with a spare that I had which fortunately was also Suntour (but probably a bit too recent to be historically accurate).

The biggest problem was the rust damaged paintwork. I went to try to get some car wax so I could at least arrest the problem, but the best I could find was clear shoe polish, which worked a treat.

marihino

I'm a guy, and not exactly a short one, so I won't ride it, but I do love the design of mixte frames, they always grab my eyes. I guess they're a perfect example of functional and thought-of designs looking good.

I'm a guy, and not exactly a short one, so I won't ride it, but I do love the design of mixte frames, they always grab my eyes. I guess they're a perfect example of functional and thought-of designs looking good.
I'll just say... a lot of mixtes are in fact "man sized" (54cm - 60cm being typical) as they were originally designed (by the French) and intended to be ridden by men, not women.

I prevented this from being chucked in the skip at our local facility. the guy chucking it said that he had meant to make it up for his daughter and had not got round to it!

I took it home, wiped the chain and gave it to my sister. I think she was quite pleased with it ^_^

it is a Raleigh 531 tubed frame, the previous owner had removed the downtube shifters and replaced with thumb shifters which probably suited my sister more anyway.

all in all a lovely bike.

IMAG1963.jpg

Yep, there's just something about the look of a mixte. :smile:
@User13710 you're quite right. My 1979 Puch Princess has had nearly as many lives as the proverbial cat. Here's the latest incarnation:
P1070165.JPG

And here's what she was just before this:
P1000523.JPG

Guess I just can't leave well enough alone...!
P1040397.JPG

I loved the modern road bike incarnation though and recently scored a second 1978 Puch Princess (yes, same year, same model, only a few frame numbers apart, in fact) which is in much better cosmetic condition than the one above so it will get built up with all the modcons.
P1070512.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom