Show us your Mixte

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bagpuss

Guru
Recently returned to this forum and i must say this thread is giving me some ideas for a future rebuild i have in the shed .
This is as purchased for the sum of £30 last year.
18822195013_f0f5941587_z.jpg Carlton Mixte Circa 1950's? FN H186 by rebalrid, on Flickr

It is a rare 1950's Carlton Mixte .
So far I have stripped it down and had it powder coated . Finished in a flat Brown it is not the best of colour . However with yellow outer cables and coloured mudguards I am hoping it will look ok . Changing it back to 5 speed .[It came with a SA three speed rear hub .} I have kept the saddle . Going for flat North road bars.
Basic Huret rear mech to be fitted . Brakes TBC . Wheels A pair of Normandy L/F on Weinmann alloys {27x 1 11/4} .
Looking for a single ring cotter less c/s.

More pictures as it happens .

mixtetape

So many nice mixtes on this thread!

Here's my one and only bike, a Raleigh Silhouette (70s-80s?). I love it, although maintenance can be a little bit of a PITA as is sourcing the parts that will fit (shimano positron gear cables/replacing the wheels so I can brake in the rain/etc). I didn't know about mixtes until this one came into my life (heh so no bias here) but they are looovely.:shy:

Excuse the muddyish wheels, we'd just been through the Epping forest. Because this particular bike copes well with a bit of offroad :rolleyes:

20160807_185107.jpg

Last edited:

clyde

Bought this last week to build for the wife. Elswick Charisma. Wanted to put drops on it but shes against it. Cost the grand sum of £4.47. Checked and its a pity that the dealer in Derby closed last year after 80 years of trading. The frame is at the powder coaters for a new paint job, the og colour was nice but wore through in places. Will keep it classic looking. Going to try and salvage all the OG parts. Its a SR stem, GB bars and Weinmann brakes. Wheels are mis matched being a steel on the front and a alloy on the rear. Alloy was correct I think.
1 £4.47.jpg
5.jpg

Mine as rescued from the tip. In storage at the moment, but I did clean it up a bit first. Needs: new alloy wheels, new brakes maybe, new pedals.
Needs something to keep the paintwork from deteriorating further, but no idea how to do that yet. A project for later this year (2020).

Top Bottom