Should I patch a tubeless tyre while it’s off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBarrett

Über Member
I’m new to using tubeless so I hope this isn’t a stupid question.
I have a tyre off which previously had a puncture and has sealed.
I’ve found the sealant plug. Can I use a regular innertube patch on the inside of the tyre as a permanent fix instead of just relying on the sealant?

Chislenko

Veteran
I’ve found the sealant plug. Can I use a regular innertube patch on the inside of the tyre as a permanent fix instead of just relying on the sealant?

I have successfully done said.

Sharky

Guru
Not sure. Always thought that an inner tube patch with the solution "bonds" to the inner tube with a bit of a chemical reaction. The inner surface of a tyre is not rubber, so would not expect it to bond in the same way.

Any experts out there?

Chislenko

Veteran
Not sure. Always thought that an inner tube patch with the solution "bonds" to the inner tube with a bit of a chemical reaction. The inner surface of a tyre is not rubber, so would not expect it to bond in the same way.

Any experts out there?

As stated above, have done it and successfully ridden the bike for many miles afterwards. A small tip is a dab of superglue in the cut on the outside (if you can see it). Then patch the inside.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I can't see any reason why you'd need to patch it or even take the tyre off for that matter.

If the sealant has sealed the puncture then the job is done. I've got 2500 miles on a pair of tubeless Schwalbe G-One with a plug in each and several small sealed punctures. We did have the tires off to check the rim tape and also to add sealant but that's all. No patching, sort of spoils the point of tubeless!!

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
Thank you for your advice. I did manage to glue a patch on the inside and it seemed to bond ok and was fine on tonight’s ride. So I’m calling that a success. The tip about superglue is very helpful, thanks.
I had the tyre off because it was leaking air steadily so I wanted to redo the rim tape. It seemed a good opportunity to do a ‘permanent’ fix whilst I was cleaning the old sealant from inside the tyre.

Top Bottom