Should I sell the +1? Can't decide, Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Just over a year ago me and the OH decided to take up mountain biking. I bought a Specialized Myka Elite - however, the mountain biking never really took off for me.

Before long, I'd changed the tyres to slicks and put a pannier rack on it.

In december I had my car written off and decided not to replace it, because I was now using my car to go about my daily chores I started using my old Dawes Sonoran more often, as I felt more comfortable leaving it locked up in public.

I then realised that the Dawes is probably more suited to my daily life, it has good enough gears, a dropped cross bar (I cycle in dresses and skirts sometimes) I can fit a basket on the front (doesn't fit right on the Myka, and would look stupid even if it did!). I prefer the look of the bigger, slimmer wheels and the Sonoran is fine for the kind of leisure riding we do, which is gravel tracks at worst.
The only advantage for me of the Myka over the Sonoran is the Hydralic disc brakes, I find adjusting the brakes on the Sonoran a nightmare,.

I'm thinking I should sell the Myka, but I'm so fickle I might change my mind. Can't decide - Help!

GrasB

Veteran
If you're carless I'd think long & hard about getting rid of the Myka. As your bike is your main form of transport & it's much harder to rent a bike than a car, 2 bikes make sense. Sure the Myka can't duplicated the Dawes in every way but it's a good standby if something should happen to the Dawes, OTOH you could sell the Myka & pick up a second bike which is closer to the Sonoran or a duplicate of it.

I do know of carless cyclists who have once found their 'ideal bike' have then gone out & bought exactly the same & alternate between them on a daily basis.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
If you're carless I'd think long & hard about getting rid of the Myka. As your bike is your main form of transport & it's much harder to rent a bike than a car, 2 bikes make sense. Sure the Myka can't duplicated the Dawes in every way but it's a good standby if something should happen to the Dawes, OTOH you could sell the Myka & pick up a second bike which is closer to the Sonoran or a duplicate of it.

I do know of carless cyclists who have once found their 'ideal bike' have then gone out & bought exactly the same & alternate between them on a daily basis.
LOL!

Just seems a shame to have it gathering dust! I've just dropped my Sonoran off at the local bike mechanic (Thats the only thing, the sodding brakes!), he says he'll have it sorted by tomorrow, I said not to worry as I have another bike! Thing is, most of my journeys are doable by bus if I have to, so having to manage without if neceserry would be ok for a few days.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you can live withotu a back up then go for it , maybe we are to obsessed with being able to ride all the time .
You never need a back up till you need a back up !
Another option would be to sell the myka and get a back up bike more suited to the riding you do ?

Sell it. Sell it now.

It already knows you're thinking of doing so. It will feel the absence of love and it will spit you off or buckle a wheel or just eat its own chain to get back at you. Bastard contraption.

Bicycles are like that. No appreciation of all the care and maintenance we lavish on them.

Sell the ungrateful piece of trash. Sell it now. Rub sand into the chain and sprockets after the buyer tests it.

That sort of bike deserves that sort of treatment.

Also, the bike you keep will hear about your stern ways and will behave impeccably from that moment.

Don't thank me for this wisdom. It is a gift I like to share.

Crankarm

Guru
You are carless ????!!

Wowwwwwww.

Keep the 2nd bike. You never know when it might come in handy or you need it. As already mentioned you will need a 3rd bike as back up for the 2nd and 1st bikes.

Top Bottom