Should I try bib shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garyh09

I am taking part in the liverpool to Chester bike ride next week, 50 mile round trip, would you advise getting some good bib shorts to wear or would it be foolish to try them out for the 1st time on a long ride? Also any suggestions or recommendations for decent bib shorts would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Garyh09

Yes, I cant see any real reason not too. I don't think I've come across a pair I don't like but my experience is limited to: Nalini, Santini, Endura, Decathlon (excellent VfM), Protective and a Spanish pair (forget the brand).

Herr-B

Bibs are great, I'll not go back to normal shorts now - at least not for the bike, beaches may be a slightly different matter. :blush:

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
makes me less conscious re my arse hanging out my shorts. bout only real difference. both of mine are decathon, ones the cheap others the top end ( still under 50 quid though )

Neil363

I bought my first bib shorts last week (Altura Progel) and can quite honestly say I don't think I'll ever go back to normal padded shorts.

2nd pair already ordered!

Nick Stone

+5 for the bibs, the tops hold you in as well, got a couple of pairs, although I do no someone on here who tried for first time on a sixty miler and wore them back to front, but still found them comfortable

Completely agree with all the above...there's no going back! If you want to try some cheap ones that are good quality, I'd try Tenn - I love them and at under £20, if you don't get on with the stick them on ebay!

kedab

Veteran
deffo get a pair but make sure you can try them for size first...you'll find that they can vary wildly in fit and the sizing charts never seem to be much good. example - i got a pair of Pearl Izumi bib shorts in small cos that's what the guide said i should be, i couldn't get them over my thighs - the medium are spot on and the '3D chamois' is super comfortable - got a pair of Sportful the other week too and again, sized them up, chart said 'small' i ordered the medium and they are snug...any smaller and they'd have gone back for the M/L or the L...but once you find a pair that fit properly, you'll never wear anything else on the bike.

also...i find 'team kit' seems to be on the larger size - last years rabobank kit is quite big on me and that's only a medium but i've not got anything else made by AGU to compare it to...

RedFeend

I bought my first bib shorts last week (Altura Progel) and can quite honestly say I don't think I'll ever go back to normal padded shorts.

2nd pair already ordered!
Can you tell us why please? A few people have said they would never go back to ordinary shorts (I've only just moved into any form of Lycra), but apart from not exposing a builder's arse, which does not happen to me, no one has said WHY they would never go back.

What d'you say?

Top Bottom