Should I try bib shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you tell us why please? A few people have said they would never go back to ordinary shorts (I've only just moved into any form of Lycra), but apart from not exposing a builder's arse, which does not happen to me, no one has said WHY they would never go back.

What d'you say?
Bibs seem very inconvenient for the fairer sex when a bio break is used. That said, Gore and Pearl Izumi (and perhaps others have designed them so women can pee without having to get undressed

I bought a pair and didn't like how they felt against skin and I looked awful lol. I have no issue with waist shorts ulltimately

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I wear both, depended really on what matched the particular kit. Shorts Jersey I figured it was easier to have plain shorts/bibs and mix-match the jersey. Even with club kit which is red/white/black

I don't particularly like a waistband (hence I have a collection of bibs) but Funkier's stuff isn't too noticeable.

RedFeend

If you have to go through the rigmarole of stripping down for a wee wee, then I will stick with shorts. The added performance is not worth the hassle. Also, I am fat enough without looking like a wrestler. Actually, some may say I look like that anyway, but at least I am making an effort to reduce the ol' 50+ spare tyre :-)

G3CWI

Veteran
If you have to go through the rigmarole of stripping down for a wee wee, then I will stick with shorts. The added performance is not worth the hassle. Also, I am fat enough without looking like a wrestler. Actually, some may say I look like that anyway, but at least I am making an effort to reduce the ol' 50+ spare tyre :-)

I wore mine yesterday. On returning I took off my jersey to cool down. To say that the family were not impressed is to seriously understate their reaction.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Try not to picture me 5'7''', 12 stone and 36F boobs. That's why I'm not going to get any. It would not be fair on the human race.

However, as the owner of a "bit of a gut" I can also vouch for the fact that they flatten your tummy pretty well, and smooth everything out. Also, I find waist shorts tend to roll down to my hips, leaving the muffin top to hang over, not the most flattering of looks, and can be uncomfortable on the bike. My suggestion would be to get a cheap pair and try them. You may well be pleasantly surprised. If you're very self-conscious you could always wear some board shorts over the top?

Oh, and now you've asked us not to picture you I've read your description and am still searching for the problem?

Jiminblack

Regular
The world isn't ready for big Jim in bib shorts! I would look like a burst sausage!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Perhaps wear something over them, like longer shorts and a athletic (sweat wicking)shirt. The World Court at the Hague has threatened me with sanctions if I ever go out in lycra, so this is my solution. Sometimes, in the Amish enclaves near me, I see fellows wearing bib overalls and cotton shirts to bicycle. And a straw hat. I'd show you a picture, but they don't like that.

I am a 34inch waist and am reasonably big build (maybe I should say slightly podgy!) I went for a medium (hoping I would fit into them with a bit of work in the summer. They're actually a great fit...bit tight but actually having them close fitting was weird at first but they're now really comfy!!

Powely

I am a 34inch waist and am reasonably big build (maybe I should say slightly podgy!) I went for a medium (hoping I would fit into them with a bit of work in the summer. They're actually a great fit...bit tight but actually having them close fitting was weird at first but they're now really comfy!!

Cheers for that. I'm 34" waist too so that's really helpful. How tall are you?

oh...tbh if you were any taller, I think they would become super tight...did I say 5'8"? I'm reaching the lofty heights of 5'8 1/2"!!!

Top Bottom