Should my daughter buy this laptop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Honor MagicBook 15 AMD Ryzen 5 8GB 256GB SSD 15.6 Full HD Inch Laptop

From what little I know it looks like a good deal, with a spec along similar lines to an HP which came up on a recent CC thread along these lines, at around £200 more.

But I don't really know anything about Honor laptops, and reviews are thin on the ground (though from what I can see they tend to be positive rather than negative). Anyone have one, or anything else 'Honor'?

Oh, and it has to be a laptop, not a Chromebook, for reasons that make sense.

Thanks in anticipation.

Drago

Legendary Member
Google shows that the brand has decent reviews on Techradar.

It looks to have no disc drive, a headphone jack a single USB socket, a HDMI port and a USB C port for a docking station. Will this be sufficient for her needs?

Also, no number pad. If her course involves lots of number it will be a right pain in the backside. I am an accountant by trade and have a laptop similar and had to invest in a wireless keyboard with a number pad to get me round the issue.

If she is a student could she on unidays\Totum/NUS get 10-20% off a Microsoft surface pro laptop or a Dell laptop with touchscreen?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What will she be using it for?
Don't know if there's any problems with Huawei Windows devices like there are with Android and their phones.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Seems expensive for a laptop. What’s the use case?

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Thanks all. It'll be used mostly for everyday browsing and the like, but she wants to keep her options open which may involve running windows-based software - apparently one job she's applying to requires her to download and install a tailored program to run certain tests, eg.

Good to hear Honor seems respected. That The Register review sounds very positive - tho' it's for a different, more upmarket model, the general good vibes are reassuring. 'Seems expensive' - have to say, my initial reaction was the opposite - looked like a lot of spec for the cash.

Thanks again. Any more thoughts very much welcome.

AndyRM

XOXO
Might be overkill if it's for the internet and relatively basic sounding programmes.

Honor are excellent IME (though I only have one of their phones, personally, but have tested quite a lot of their kit), as you've noticed you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Thanks all. It'll be used mostly for everyday browsing and the like, but she wants to keep her options open which may involve running windows-based software - apparently one job she's applying to requires her to download and install a tailored program to run certain tests, eg.

Good to hear Honor seems respected. That The Register review sounds very positive - tho' it's for a different, more upmarket model, the general good vibes are reassuring. 'Seems expensive' - have to say, my initial reaction was the opposite - looked like a lot of spec for the cash.

Thanks again. Any more thoughts very much welcome.
After reading the original Reg review that I posted I went to the Honor Web store and that's where I saw the machine (and other models) referred to in your original post.
I went from a Samsung phone to a Honor View 20 last year, mainly because of the camera reviews. It's been a revelation, outstanding battery life great camera and regular updates.
I believe "Honor" is a sub brand of Huawei aimed at the budget and "younger" section of the market.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Honor make splendid phones at a fraction of the price so I would not have any worries about the laptop. I think they would be more popular if it wasn't for the "Chinese spying" allegations. Battery life seems a bit poorer but never an issue for me becasue i'd always keep a laptop plugged in, or at least if it gets down to 40%

si_c

Guru
Honor is Huawei's youth brand. I've not seen anything negative about the brand really, some criticisms of phones but no more so than any other brands.

Looks like a good spec for the price, my biggest gripe would be it's a 15" laptop - for a student I'd seriously consider a 13" laptop - it moves into desktop replacement size at 15" and just the size of it means it is less portable.

Top Bottom