should they bring in rules and laws for cyclists? (please read before shooting me down)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Just a thought know i would like to see a new law introduced that any driver a threatening a cyclist either verbally or by any other means when in charge of a motor vehicle can face either a driving ban or a year in prison?

Baldy

Über Member
lights imo should be a must for all cyclists (after a set time of day must be on)

How's that going to work? In winter it gets dark here in Central Scotland much earlier that it does down in the Deep South in places like London. Likewise on the north coast of Scotland it's dark even earlier than it is here. Some days you will need your lights on all day at other times they're not need so much. It's impossible to have a set time for lighting up, it has to be up to individuals exercising their own judgment. I know some people don't do this; they simply ignore the rules that are in place already, so how are more rules going to improve things?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Just a thought know i would like to see a new law introduced that any driver a threatening a cyclist either verbally or by any other means when in charge of a motor vehicle can face either a driving ban or a year in prison?

What do you do with cyclists doing this to motorists. Because it is certainly not a one way street.

When i was a fair bit younger we had to do a bike proficiency test, to see if we could ride safely on the roads.
i am a firm believer that there should be something upon these lines brought back in, hear me out..
Road rules are changing to protect cyclists and other road users, not in cars or bigger vehicles, Electric vehicles and some of the bigger SUV's are machines that are silent and huge, posing a huge risk to cyclists,
my thoughts are they should bring in some kinds of laws for cyclists(i am one, i rarely drive) in Helmets, lights and no headphones.
i live in Watford, we have busy roads there, i cycle there and in London, the amount of people i see with huge headphones on is ridiculous, that and currently it's dark out at 5pm and people are riding through roadworks, on the wrong sides on main roads towards traffic with no lights on and headphones on.

lights imo should be a must for all cyclists(after a set time of day must be on) helmets i know divides the crowd(i'll leave that)

headphones should be banned on cyclists(just sensible imo)

also a bike test of some kind, especially for the city, this week(i work on the underground) i saw a woman who was drunk from a night out, riding a Santander bike across Baker st junction around 11pm when her lights were red, she didn't have a clue if the roads she were crossing were clear, she couldn't have done. how she made or even if she did make it home on one piece i don't know.

so, what say you?(puts on helmet and ducks into a trench)

EVs aren't silent.

The dangers are from motor vehicles. I'd rather they were policed more heavily than a cyclist be stopped for wearing headphones.

davidphilips

Veteran
Cyclists seldom or never kill drivers Stevin and never knew a driver to be crushed by a push bike, so the driver threatening a cyclist when in charge of a vehicle that can be used as a weapon should be treated different to a cyclist in charge of a bike? What are your views?

winjim

Smash the cistern
How's that going to work? In winter it gets dark here in Central Scotland much earlier that it does down in the Deep South in places like London. Likewise on the north coast of Scotland it's dark even earlier than it is here. Some days you will need your lights on all day at other times they're not need so much. It's impossible to have a set time for lighting up, it has to be up to individuals exercising their own judgment. I know some people don't do this; they simply ignore the rules that are in place already, so how are more rules going to improve things?

I thought the law was fairly clear on lighting up time. Do they still publish it in the newspapers? Used to, with the weather.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I saw a woman who was drunk from a night out, riding a Santander bike across Baker st junction around 11pm when her lights were red, she didn't have a clue if the roads she were crossing were clear, she couldn't have done. how she made or even if she did make it home on one piece i don't know.
So if she was heading home, equally drunk and in the middle of the road - but on foot... Wouldn't she need a high-vis jacket, set of lights, airhorn and have passed some kind of test? I think so, right? Right?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Cyclists have to adhere to rules just like any other road user. The highway code applies to cyclists just as much as it does to Any vehicle.

As for headphones, perhaps pedestrians should be banned from using them when walking along or across the road as I'm sure that most have no Idea how pavements and roads work. And then maybe they should have to wear a helmet to stop them hurting themselves when they do the most ridiculous things. And maybe the occupants of cars, vans and lorries should all wear helmets as well along with elbow pads and knees pads as by far the most dangerous vehicles on the road are those with engines.

I'm out.

Jameshow

Veteran
When i was a fair bit younger we had to do a bike proficiency test, to see if we could ride safely on the roads.
i am a firm believer that there should be something upon these lines brought back in, hear me out..
Road rules are changing to protect cyclists and other road users, not in cars or bigger vehicles, Electric vehicles and some of the bigger SUV's are machines that are silent and huge, posing a huge risk to cyclists,
my thoughts are they should bring in some kinds of laws for cyclists(i am one, i rarely drive) in Helmets, lights and no headphones.
i live in Watford, we have busy roads there, i cycle there and in London, the amount of people i see with huge headphones on is ridiculous, that and currently it's dark out at 5pm and people are riding through roadworks, on the wrong sides on main roads towards traffic with no lights on and headphones on.

lights imo should be a must for all cyclists(after a set time of day must be on) helmets i know divides the crowd(i'll leave that)

headphones should be banned on cyclists(just sensible imo)

also a bike test of some kind, especially for the city, this week(i work on the underground) i saw a woman who was drunk from a night out, riding a Santander bike across Baker st junction around 11pm when her lights were red, she didn't have a clue if the roads she were crossing were clear, she couldn't have done. how she made or even if she did make it home on one piece i don't know.

so, what say you?(puts on helmet and ducks into a trench)

Might need a nuclear bunker mate!!!

Top Bottom