Should truck drivers have their licences suspended for using mobile phones?‏

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Agreed - I'll bet the driving ban will not be what we'd hope though.
I'd assume we'd all agree a lifetime ban from driving is what he should get, but since driving is one of those supposed god given rights, it's more likely to be a few years at most.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
There can be. A court can impose a permanent ban but it's very, very rare that they ever do.

Denis Putz was given a lifetime ban - but only after he'd killed Catriona Patel. He'd already had 20 disqualifications, including three for drink driving.

I don't think it's as rare as you believe, between 2003-2013 there were 810 people disqualified from driving for life by a court.

GC

spen666

Legendary Member
I think there should be a period of zero tolerance.

In summer, the police could recruit all those people who take short term jobs over Xmas with the Royal Mail and have a 6 week crack down on all traffic offences: RLJ by motor or bike; mobile phone use by driver or cyclist; riding on pavements; parking on pavements etc. Unfortunately there's probably a legal hurdle to this but hey ho.

The biggest legal hurdle to cracking down on the highlighted is that it is not actually an offence!

Whether it should be an offence is a different matter

martint235

Dog on a bike
The biggest legal hurdle to cracking down on the highlighted is that it is not actually an offence!

Whether it should be an offence is a different matter
To even things up, although I see few cyclists actually do it, I think plod should stop them and advise against it even though they can't do them for it

spen666

Legendary Member
To even things up, although I see few cyclists actually do it, I think plod should stop them and advise against it even though they can't do them for it
Plod have no power to stop them in such circumstances

spen666

Legendary Member
They are allowed to offer you advice. In fact anyone is allowed,to offer advice
I don't think anyone is doubting they can offer advice. What they have no power to do in those circumstances is to stop you. As @deptfordmarmoset said no one has been prosecuted for refusing to stop for a lecture on wearing hi viz/ helmets

martint235

Dog on a bike
I don't think anyone is doubting they can offer advice. What they have no power to do in those circumstances is to stop you. As @deptfordmarmoset said no one has been prosecuted for refusing to stop for a lecture on wearing hi viz/ helmets
So if a police officer tells you to stop you have no legal obligation to do so? Regardless of what you're doing: cycling along on your mobile phone, walking down the pavement, running away with loot from a bank?

spen666

Legendary Member
So if a police officer tells you to stop you have no legal obligation to do so? Regardless of what you're doing: cycling along on your mobile phone, walking down the pavement, running away with loot from a bank?
No idea where you manage to get that interpretation from.

I made a comment about a specific situation. I'm not aware I mentioned bank robbery

Top Bottom