Should Turbo miles for your years final total?

Do turbo miles count

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
How the hell can I answer that? I don't know them :laugh:

So you do not know whether they do lots of outdoor miles or not. What would you say is enough outdoor miles for them?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
No, I don't. But it sounds to me like their training isn't effective no matter how many miles they do.

Depends on their goals, of course.

So going back to your statement, probably have not done many outdoor miles. Pretty meaningless and based on nothing then. Plus you do not say what you mean by not many outdoor winter miles. Care to put a number on that?

huwsparky

Über Member
So going back to your statement, probably have not done many outdoor miles. Pretty meaningless and based on nothing then. Plus you do not say what you mean by not many outdoor winter miles. Care to put a number on that?
It doesn't matter on the number of miles, like I said. The amount of time anyone needs to train will be specific to their goals. That's all Andy has given us is that he's stronger than his mates when they go out riding after the winter. Maybe he's stronger all year, I don't know.

But if the dude gives his mates a kicking after the winter is over where he usually doesn't, say in the summer, then it's pretty obvious to me that whatever his buddies are doing in the winter isn't as affective as what he's doing. Don't really know what more you're looking for here.

And it's kind of ironic that all this is coming from someone who tells everyone almost daily that theyre working on their aerobic system which is pretty much exactly what I think is lacking in most recreational cyclists and what started this episode:laugh: . And we don't really agree often, who would have though.

huwsparky

Über Member
That' s the point, you dont need to do 4+ hours indoors in one session, to replicate the outdoor stress score. As a general rule, you never stop pedalling whilst applying power indoors.
Depends on your goals and how you respond to the training that you do. I do, because I monitor my training and know what works for me.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
My tuppence worth based on nothing more than personal experience.

Do lots of weightlifting. If I perform plenty of dumbbell curls I get very good at doing dumbbells curls, but this doesn’t necessarily mean I’ll be particularly great at another arm exercise I haven’t spent much time doing.

If I spend most of the winter riding outside, come the Spring I’m better at riding outside than if I’d spent the whole winter riding a bike indoors. However, if I then rode on the turbo, I’d struggle to train at the threshold power from the previous winter’s indoor training.

Conversely, if I spent the whole winter on the turbo, my threshold power would increase but, personally, this wouldn’t be replicated out on the road. At least not immediately.

There’s a big element of specificality involved in my opinion. But training is training, it’s just that there’s a period of adjustment or ‘acclimatisation’ involved when switching from one to the other.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
How far away from the TV do you travel on a turbo session? My guess is no miles or even inches cycled..... :tongue:

Venod

Eh up
No, I don't. But it sounds to me like their training isn't effective no matter how many miles they do.

Have you considered your assumption about Andy's mates might be wrong and he is fitter than them by doing Turbo training, and your assumptions about Turbo training are wrong
Andy's mates may be very fit with lots of outdoor winter miles, he may just be fitter with loads of Turbo miles.

CXRAndy

Guru
My club mates are generally seasoned mamils and older, some are very strong and faster, but younger. I dont keep a close eye on their training, but I would guess with most club riders they are riding mostly for pleasure whilst trying to maintain last years level of fitness. I know thats what im doing. At my age my fitness is never going to suddenly jump. Overall Im a better stronger cyclist for putting nearly 4 years of winter turbo training. I use spring and summer to enjoy my fitness, with one week foreign tours, sportives, club outings and local TTs.

cld531c

But if you count the miles, which miles? My Garmin will show a different figure than Bkool?
FWIW I log outdoor rides as miles, indoors as hours (well minutes!!!).

bridgy

Legendary Member
But if you count the miles, which miles? My Garmin will show a different figure than Bkool?
FWIW I log outdoor rides as miles, indoors as hours (well minutes!!!).
You would need to use the miles logged on the software (eg bkool or Zwift) not the garmin. Your garmin couldn't be used to measure speed or mileage accurately on a smart trainer connected to this kind of software as the software algorithm is making adjustments based on gradient etc that the garmin won't know about

cld531c

You would need to use the miles logged on the software (eg bkool or Zwift) not the garmin. Your garmin couldn't be used to measure speed or mileage accurately on a smart trainer connected to this kind of software as the software algorithm is making adjustments based on gradient etc that the garmin won't know about

And the software mileage is always higher!!!

bridgy

Legendary Member
And the software mileage is always higher!!!
So? The speed/mileage on a speed sensor is irrelevant to the mileage recorded on the software. The speed sensor is simply recording the speed the wheel is turning, and not taking into account the gradient etc. whilst the software is calculating speed (& distance) based on power. Sometimes you may be going downhill and your in-game speed could be higher than your wheel speed because it's simulating the speed you'd gain from the affects of gravity. On the other hand you may be going uphill at a gradient that your trainer can't replicate the full resistance for, in which case it will take your power and adjust your speed (compared to your wheel speed) downwards. In both circumstances, wheel speed is irrelevant, but power is instead used to calculate what your speed would be in real life at that gradient etc.

As I said earlier in the thread, that's why I wouldn't use a mileage measurement from a spin bike or dumb trainer not connected to any virtual reality software, as there's no way of accurately measuring virtual speed and distance on these.

Top Bottom