Should you get insurance..?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by itchyrider, 23 Aug 2012.

  1. itchyrider

    itchyrider Aka Chris

    london N16
    Because a guy at work had a cyclist go into the back of his van while he was parked up at home.
    He was just on his way to work, left his house & noticed an ambulance and police was standing near his van, as he got closer he notice a cyclist on the floor and some serious damage to the rear doors of handlebar dents, So later on he got a quote of the damage for the repairs and it was £1400 worth.
    So what do you do as a cyclist for damaging somebody’s property?
  2. Rob3rt

    Rob3rt Man or Moose!

    Either get 3rd party insurance (CTC, British Cycling or other), or you pay for it one way or another!
  3. MisterStan

    MisterStan Label Required

    Cycle off as fast as i can ^_^
    Drago likes this.
  4. Sandra6

    Sandra6 Veteran

    I would say that cyclist needs a trip to specsavers!
    How on earth do you manage to cycle into the back of a parked van hard enough to leave a dent?!
    MisterStan likes this.
  5. davefb

    davefb Über Member

    hopefully... not the way I hit a parked car (luckily no damage err as i recall), was cycling to school, ( so about 30yrs ago!) and felt it nescessary to 'rest my eyes' every few yards..... oops not a great plan..

    probably should check I'm covered on the house insurance, always assume I am, but never actually checked :-/
  6. sabian92

    sabian92 Über Member

    If you want insurance, get British Cycling Membership and if you google "British Cycling Promo Code" you can get it half off easily enough. I did it yesterday.

    You'd be daft not to - to protect yourself if anything else. If you want any serious cover (not just 3rd party) then you need to look at specific coverage.
  7. Fab Foodie

    Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

  8. cycleruk

    cycleruk Active Member

    insurance is there for the what if, no one wants to ever have to use but is handy if you do, just make sure you read the small print first!

    im thinking the cyclist felt a bit of a plonker after admitting sorry mate i didnt see you
  9. compo

    compo Veteran

    Judging by the glasses Specsavers have tried to fob me off with perhaps the cyclist had been to Specsavers.
    davefb likes this.
  10. Kiwiavenger

    Kiwiavenger im a little tea pot

    Just check your household insurance. A lot of the public liability cover on that covers "leisure pursuits" of which cycling is one. The company I work for include it.
  11. CopperBrompton

    CopperBrompton Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops

    +1 for a British Cycling membership
  12. compo

    compo Veteran

    I have Third Party cover via London Cycling Campaign. They offered better age concessions than British Cycling and as Tesco say "every little helps".
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice