Shoulder an Neck pain from riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ransom1980

I have only been riding for 3months today, I ride a carrera tdf which I absolutely love but it's giving me some right jip recently,

I get a real pain across the top of my shoulders and the back of my neck, this has become every ride now I ride 1-4times a week and only 30mins to 1h30mins

I vary my hand position constantly and do a lot of hills and inclines as I live in the Peak District (Buxton)

Am I doing something wrong I've changed my seat height maybe 3 times to stop this pain but it's still there until maybe 3 hours after my ride finishes

BRounsley

Über Member
I traced my shoulder pain to being in the "The turtle”. Locked arms, shoulders forward and up near my ears.

I found this article very useful. I’m now trying to improve me posture, it seems to be working, but I do still slip backing into the "The turtle” on long rides. When I do I always think “turtle head”, which still makes me chuckle.

http://www.body2bike.com/articles/shoulderpain.pdf

vickster

Legendary Member
Also Check the bike is the correct size, is set up right, stem tight length, flip it if needed. Work on core strength and stretch after and even during riding

I reckon you might be overstretched, look at stem length and height. Or it's the wrong bike for you

Some massage and exercises from a sports physio might help if it doesn't resolve. If getting worse after 3 months, sone sort of medical intervention might be needed

OP
OP
R

Ransom1980

Thanks for the replies guys I'll have a look into it I find I do have too almost over stretch to have my hands on the tops too use the brakes

I'm 5'10 and my bikes a 54cm I was checked when I brought the bike from Halfords

On my phone at work, sorry didn't even realise there's a search option

I get severe pain at the top of the spine/base of the neck and attribute it to tensing up while riding. Try everything already suggested but try to notice how tense you are when riding, maybe downhill or when riding fast and if like me you automatically seem to stiffen up then try to relax.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies guys I'll have a look into it I find I do have too almost over stretch to have my hands on the tops too use the brakes

I'm 5'10 and my bikes a 54cm I was checked when I brought the bike from Halfords

On my phone at work, sorry didn't even realise there's a search option
Checked by someone in Halfords? Hmmm

How long is the stem? The 54cm is the large model from what I can see (Halfords use a different measurement for their sizing). The website suggests 5'9 to 6'2 which is a wide range, I expect it's more like a 56-58cm in other brands. Can't find the geometry charts yet. How long is the stem?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Checked by someone in Halfords? Hmmm

How long is the stem? The 54cm is the large model from what I can see (Halfords use a different measurement for their sizing). The website suggests 5'9 to 6'2 which is a wide range, I expect it's more like a 56-58cm in other brands. Can't find the geometry charts yet. How long is the stem?
What she said :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
Halfords, again. If you want to make cycling a long term hobby then a quality bike fit could be money well spent. Other than that there is good advice above.

Adrian Timmis at Cadence sport is only 50 miles from you and is very good at the job.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I had the same problem last year, after changing my stem for a 10mm longer stem. I tried different things to correct the problem because the length of the stem seemed fine but in the end I had to go back to the old stem and the pains went away after a month or so.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Tbh, I've a Carrera TDF 54'' frame and I'm only 5'7''. It's definitely the right size for me (although I do seem to have short legs and a comparatively long body!).

Not convinced the frame comes up bigger than its suggested sizing. Certainly in comparison with my other 54 inch frame bikes it doesn't.

Comfy old thing with the steel forks altbeit a tad sluggish on the hills with that 52/42 gearing and heavy frame!.

Sounds about right for someone who's 5' 10''.

I had a few aches and pains when I first started riding a road bike again nearly two years ago. These disappeared after my body had got used to the downright unnatural position I was putting it in.

More riding coupled with some body core strengthening and stretching might well resolve the issues

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Think I'm just a little bit freakish, screenman!

Ride 54inch frames on all my bikes except my Caad 10 which is a 52. In fact my Bianchi was a 55 ( recently sold! :huh:) and that felt great when on the drops and trying to go fast.

ayceejay

Guru
With a sloping top tube the length of this would be a better way to size your bike correctly. I can't find a geometry chart but I am guessing that the saddle and handlebars should be closer together for you so now that you already have the bike I suggest moving the saddle forward and make sure it is not too high after this a shorter stem might help. Stretching and learning how to relax on the bike as well as not pushing a gear that is too high could help too.

Top Bottom