Shouting at car driver.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
Cunobelin, one of the reviews I read of the airzound was a bit like that. It involved a group of ramblers who wouldn't move after a cyclist said "on a bike, excuse me!" or something very polite. One of the walkers commented - "shouldn't the cyclist have a bell"....so the cyclist used his bell...which just so happened to be a 115 decible air zound :tongue:

They moved pretty sharpish after that!

I hate the way peds think nothing of stepping out in front of a bike even when they have seen you - they seem to just assume that you will give way. They wouldn't dare do the same to a car.
My last 2 weeks in Norwich (at uni) I had 2 peds walk out in front of me. Both were Chinese girls and neither even bothered looking before crossing! I don't know if the fact they were Chinese is really relevant - do they drive on the other side there? Both times I just used the air zound as sometimes a little bit of a shock could be a good thing - better I honk them and they realise to make sure the road is clear than them walk out in front of a car next time.

I wouldn't use the airzound (well not first) for just trying to make someone aware of my presence, but sometimes it's just the quickest & safest option.

iwf

Having broken my hip trying to avoid hitting a ped around 8 weeks ago, I'm wondering about an air horn, for when i eventually get back on a bike.

I'm worried though that I'll end looking like a christmas tree at night and dressed heat to foot in yellow during the day. I'm a 'oi' person myself never wanting too much clutter on the bike. Recent experiences though have changed my mind.

At least Wiggle will do well out of the accident!

Crankarm

Guru
Bells a couple of polite tinkles for those ambling along or across cycle paths followed by a thank you. "Careful!" for cars that stray too close. An Abus granit long frame D-lock for people/drivers who want agro. So what type of air horns do you guys use, canister, compressed air or pump up using a track pump or old style Laurel & Hardy hooter?

thomas

the tank engine
Crankarm said:
Bells a couple of polite tinkles for those ambling along or across cycle paths followed by a thank you. "Careful!" for cars that stray too close. An Abus granit long frame D-lock for people/drivers who want agro. So what type of air horns do you guys use, canister, compressed air or pump up using a track pump or old style Laurel & Hardy hooter?

You pump mine up with your bike pump...It can be quite easy to go from 100psi to 40psi if there is the odd idiot.

thomas

the tank engine
Maz said:
Agree. None of this airzound bully-boy tactics.

It's times like these that airzound "bully boy" tactics pay off. I wouldn't have wanted to start yelling then, but had she not stopped when she did I'd of had to of braked hard and yelled. What I did was prevent any braking hard and working myself up.

Top Bottom