Shouting in this case wrong or right?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Typhon

I had a similar thing recently where I was cycling along at around 20mph on a major road going through a village and a little girl on a bike who was on the pavement on the other side of the road decided to cycle right out into the road without looking and into my path. I had to brake sharply and shouted "careful" loudly and fairly aggressively so that she would stop and avoid a collision (I didn't want to swerve just in case she suddenly changed trajectory).

I felt very guilty afterwards about shouting but I was trying to avoid an accident and hopefully it taught her a lesson. That road is very busy indeed and she just cycled out across both lanes without looking first.

As others have said you can't really control what you say in that kind of situation and you were quite restrained so try not to beat yourself up too much!

cyclingsheep

You say he was looking right at you? The problem is that at that young age children are still struggling with the concept of speed as it refers to on coming traffic, objects etc so it wasn't that he wasn't seeing you it's just that his head couldn't foresee a possible collision. Yelling at him isn't an issue in my book

OP
OP
Cycling Dan

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I think my reaction on the most part was due to me being in a happy mood, mostly put on by cycling. Anyhow on a different day i doubt i would be so polite not swearing but more arm waving and a dramatically performance, maybe give the bus driver a show as he tailgates me.

RWright

Guru
I did something similar the other day. I was riding by the entrance to a store parking lot and a lady was there in a car waiting to pull out. I know she saw me but waited until I was about 30 feet from her before she blast out in front of me. I get on the brakes hard and the first thing out of my mouth was WHOA BITCH !. I felt a little bad after I thought about it. Her windows were up and I don't know if she heard me or not. I don't really think it would have bothered me too bad even if they had been down.

Top Bottom